Heard an interesting rumor... Vernon Wells is a FA after next year. He's from Dallas, still lives there, all his extended family too. Word is, Wells is going to sign with the Texas Rangers and even though it's a no no, Wells (or his agent or lawyer or whoever) and the Texas Rangers have a verbal agreement on the #s of the deal, and that not even a ridiculously higher offer from the BJs, NY or whoever is going to keep Wells from signing with Texas. Evidently, like Clemens, playing at home is his highest concern.
Gets more interesting, the BJs evidently know this, and are seriously considering trading him this off season to get something of value for him before they lose him after next year. Also, apparently, if they can, they will try to deal him to Texas, and Texas would like to do it, but there's also a sense of why trade a prospect for what you're going to get next year anyway.
If true, that will probably means the Rangers won't resign Carlos Lee, and Maybe even Gary Mathews Jr., both free agents this off-season. I can't see tthe Rangers being able to afford new Lee and Mathew deals, and then a Wells contract, even if it's under market price. Wells isn't going to sign for the minmum, just below what he'd get on the open market.
I also heard four rumors about the Angels that may be all related.
(1) the Angels are hot for Mathews Jr. in the FA Market.
(2) Unless Kendry Morales earns it fast, Garrett Anderson may play a lot of first base next year. GA, despite his aches and pains, prefers the field to DH and the Angels are thinking firstbase is a good compromise between his wishes and their thinking OF is taking too much out of him.
(3) Longer term,. the Angels want to transition Vladdy to first base believing it'll keep his legs a bit fresher as he gets older while still leaving the DH slot open, but the transition may be slow, just a few games next year. a few more the next, so on and so on.
(4) The Angels are prepping a "deal-they-can't-refuse" involving players and a ton of cash in a deal to get Miggy Cabrera, and then sign Cabrera to an A-Rod Esque long term deal.
(5) The Angels local TV contract is expiring at the end of next year, and the Angels intend to get Miggy Cabrera and/or break out the checkbook in the FA market this offseason to load up for a serious title run so that the new TV deal is made when the Angels are red hot. They've got the cash for this because (A) they're existing TV deal isn't awful. (B) They are near the top in home attendance and are flush with cash as it is, and (c) they've already got a good young core of the team still early into their first relatively cheap contracts, so what holes they have will be filled by writing big checks this offseason.