Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sweeney to Bat Cleanup Vs. White Sox Tonight!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sweeney to Bat Cleanup Vs. White Sox Tonight!

Postby d18Mike » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:05 am

Gets a bit frustrating when you subscribe to various Roto news services and end up having to go to hometown papers for the latest news on player injuries. 9/10 the services are so late with news its useless.... anyway ... Sweeney is back and it looks like he's ready to play.

Also, and this from the Cincy Paper, Kearns will join the Reds next Monday-Tuesday.

Sweeney set to play Monday
By DICK KAEGEL
The Kansas City Star

Mike Sweeney is ready to go for the Royals' series in Chicago. If he gets there.

Sweeney was sitting in the Omaha, Neb., airport Sunday night as he waited for weather in Chicago to clear.

"If I can get into the Chicago airport...I'm going to be really, really excited about getting back with the team," he said.

If the Royals were hesitant about bringing back Sweeney, that evidently disappeared Sunday after he pounded a home run and a double for Class AAA Omaha. His seventh-inning solo shot gave Omaha a 7-6 win over Salt Lake.

This was Sweeney's second game in his rehabilitation assignment as he returns from a back and neck injury.

Manager Tony Pena's primary concern about Sweeney was his timing at the plate. Sweeney says not to worry.

"Yesterday I was out in front a little bit," he said. "But my timing was great today."

So he's ready?

"I think so. I feel I am, yes," he said. "It comes back to you."

Sweeney will be the designated hitter in Chicago to alleviate any undue strain on the condition that has kept him out of the lineup since June 19.

Earlier Sunday, Pena was debating whether he'd bat Sweeney in his usual No. 4 spot or elsewhere.

"I've got to see where I'm going to hit him because his timing is not there," Pena said.

Well, that was before Sweeney whacked a homer and a double.

If Sweeney isn't batting cleanup tonight against the White Sox, it'll be a surprise.

"I'm feeling good, thank God," he said. "And I thank God a lot."
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers