Return to Baseball Leftovers

Opportunity for Mike Williams?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Opportunity for Mike Williams?

Postby G-Man » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:40 pm

just wanted to pass this on to everyone (from tsn.com):

Mesa took the loss Sunday against San Diego after starting the 10th inning with two walks. In his last two outings, he has given up four runs, four walks and two hits while recording just one out.
Fantasy Spin: Coach Larry Bowa says Mesa might have to work on the side with pitching coach Joe Kerrigan for a couple days. This could be a good sign for Mike Williams owners.

Williams was brutal in pittsburgh but if the phils are going to yank mesa and williams sneaks in a couple of converted saves opps, i don't see why he can't hold onto the position (until his inevitable implosions).....just FYI.
G-Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Going from worse to worse

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:06 pm

I just can't imagine the Phil's going with Williams instead of Mesa. Albeit, Mesa is pretty terrible these days, but of all of the guys in the Philly bullpen, why go with Williams? He's argueably worse than Mesa. If anyone gets chances, look to Cormier, Wendell, or Plesac before Williams.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
(Past Year: -681)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:40 pm

For those who don't know, Mike Williams did save 43 games with a 2.93 era last year. He's not as bad as his numbers this year suggest.

Of course with Mesa in the pen, Williams has a shot. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)
Home Cafe: Baseball

I realize that...

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:14 am

No question, Williams WAS good last year. Key word is was. The closers role is a "what have you done for me lately" position, and he hasn't done squat lately. I mean, Billy Koch had a great year last year and now he's squandering in middle relief.

I would be the most shocked guy in the world if Williams gets more than 2 saves the rest of the year. He might get a couple of the 2 inning variety when the team is up by more than 3, but that's about it.

To be a closer on a contending team you need to have better stuff than Williams has had this year. Cormier or Plesac are better bets.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
(Past Year: -681)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers