Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joe Torre

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joe Torre

Postby crazybob60 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:29 pm

My dislike for Joe Torre grows even more....
I am not a Yankee fan by any means but I am a Mussina and Pettitte fan, and have been for quite some time, but he is constantly yanking them in the ninth after they give up say one hit or one walk in that inning. Hey they have pitched lights out the whole game, leave em in, yet, it seems he has no confidence in em for the ninth. geez, very frustrated owner and fan of these two players.
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ottman » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:38 pm

His actions saved my ass this week. A big ;-D to Torre
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Steve Prefontaine
Ottman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Madison » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:51 pm

Pettitte had already thrown 109 pitches. I don't know why they sent him out there in the first place. Maybe to go for the 1 hitter I guess.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby crazybob60 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:54 pm

He was on his A+ game the whole day. The move cost me 25 points. And ended up costing the Yanks the game. This is about the 3-4 time this season that Torre has done this involving Pettitte or Mussina and the Yanks have ended up either losing or going to extras if memory serves me correct.
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jivedude » Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:42 pm

Damn him! He screwed me out of wins for Mussina and Pettitte this week! That plus Padilla and Randy Johnson having their leads blown = no wins for me this week!
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -4)

Postby timkell » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:05 am

OK, it's clear I'm a Yankee fan, but what are you guys smoking?

Would you rather have Torre let these guys throw 130 pitches each outing. I don't know if you've heard, but there's a guy named Mariano Rivera that hangs out in the Yankees bullpen. Sometimes he likes to pitch, and for whatever strange reason, he and Torre have agreed that those times would be in the ninth inning.

Torre wants to win championships, not get fantasy points for his buddies. The guys are pitching gems, and he gives them a chance to finish, but as soon as something less than perfect happens, they get pulled. That's how you win. You don't wait for the winning run to cross the plate before pulling the starter in the ninth. It's too late then.

Once in a blue moon, Rivera will blow a save, but that's a lot more rare than a tired pitcher getting a loss because his manager left him in too long.

You want a guy who throws complete games, go get someone from the Cubs. See how Dusty treats them. Or maybe go get Matt Morris. He was looking great before his injury. Yeah, right!

Be thankful Torre keeps your boys rested and keeps them strong for the end of the season. He's one of the few managers who takes care of his starters. You should be thankful.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -36)

Postby jdh » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:10 am

timkell wrote:Once in a blue moon, Rivera will blow a save

Rivera has now blown 3 saves in the last 8 days, so at least right now, he's anything but automatic. Or maybe he's taking closing lessons from Benitez.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby timkell » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:25 am

Well, JDH, if I was in your league, and you had Rivera, I'd gladly trade you Rod Beck for him. Interested?

;-)

Regardless, though, the Yanks need Rivera to win the World Series. He's going out there in the ninth whenever there's an opportunity. 'Cause if he can't turn it around, then the Yanks can't win in the playoffs. Torre's making the right decisions.

Now he just have to have some random accident end Benitez' season. I was crushed when they made that trade. He's awful!
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -36)

Return to Baseball Leftovers