Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is Corey Thurman?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is Corey Thurman?

Postby Quaker » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:38 am

Maybe you should find out. He's a 25 year old pitcher for the Jays who made his first start of the season against the Angels, pitching 4 hit shutout ball in 6 innings, striking out 5. He's only pitched 12.1 innings this year, but has a 0.73 ERA and has struck out 11.

I'm not telling you to drop Zito for this guy, but some of you struggling may want to take a look. He's not supposed to be Rich Harden or Willis, but he is supposed to be promising.

By the way, I think the Jays' bullpen are going to blow his 6-0 lead. I swear the Jays have lost more game they've led than any other team (I'm sure the Royals are up there too) :-t
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Quaker » Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:09 am

The bullpen actually did a decent job, only letting up a HR, and Corey got his first win of the season.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:49 am

Agreed, he's worth keeping an eye on. Thurman does have promise, but don't expect too much too soon: his AAA numbers haven't been terribly eye-popping.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby mrmarley » Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:53 pm

thx for the heads up on this guy...still available in most of my leagues, except my dynasty...i have villone in a few leagues, think Thurman is worth a shot over him? :-)
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby mrmarley » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:09 pm

bump for Thurman ;-D
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Quaker » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:27 pm

I'm not really sure. I'm a Jays fan, but I'm ashamed to admit I don't know too much about Thurman. He pitched in relief a bunch last year in his first season. His ERA was 4.37, which is respectable considering it was his first year. Like I said earlier, he's supposed to be promising, but he doesn't have dynamite stuff.

As for Villone, he's pitched very nicely so far this year, but has been mediocre to bad during his career, and plain awful the last few. However, he is pitching on a better team. I guess ride out Villone until he has a couple bad starts, and if Thurman is still doing well, pick him up.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:33 pm

I'll cast a dissenting vote on Thurman. He isn't anything more than a marginal prospect, and that's generous. 4th round pick in 1996 by KC, has been decidedly average at most levels. Had a bit of a AA breakout at Wichita in '01, Rule 5 pickup last year for Toronto. Hasn't done much at AAA this year, although he has improved his control some.

Worth a stab as roster filler in deep AL-only leagues, but that's about it.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -14)

Return to Baseball Leftovers