Return to Baseball Leftovers

Implications of Yankee trades...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Implications of Yankee trades...

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:58 pm

This doesn't have a lot to do with fantasy but I was just wondering, with all that has been made of the Yankees acquiring Aaron Boone instead of RF when Ventura has been a serviceable veteran hitter, as well as a serviceable occupant of the hot corner, are the Yankees done dealing? Sure the trade deadline has passed, but that's only for deals which do not require waivers. Do they really intend to platoon Karim Garcia and Ruben Sierra out in Right for the remainder of the season and playoffs?

They obviously are content at every other position with Posada, Giambi, Soriano, Jeter and Boone in the infield and Matsui and Williams in the outfield to go with Nick Johnson at DH, but the RF position is the only one not held down by a proven commodity, and I don't think Juan Rivera is the guy to man that position either this year.

In any case, there happens to be a veteran RF whose team is just dying to move him in Juan Gonzalez. Now I know the majority of the talk surrounding Gonzalez has him going to Kansa City, but given his no trade clause and his specific personal requirements of teams to which he would accept a trade, you have to assume the Yankees would be on his short list. Now, I don't fully understand the waiver ramifications of such a deal, but would Juan Gone becoming a Yankee come as a huge shock to anyone else? It just seems unlikely to me that the Yankees didn't have a contingency plan in RF when they released Mondesi, and with an owner like Steinbrenner, the Yankees may be a club that assists the Rangers in Gonzalez's requirement of receiving his deferred money up front.

Then again, I haven't really heard this any place in particular, it just seems to make sense.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pkarr5000 » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:09 pm

the yankees can get anyone they want, period.
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -12)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:14 pm

I would not be suprised at all if Juan ended up with the Yankees. I've been saying for about a week that that's where Juan will probably end up. I did figure it would have happened before the trade deadline though.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Return to Baseball Leftovers