Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mariners staying put... again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mariners staying put... again

Postby Quaker » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:44 am

Last year at the deadline, the Mariners were 5 games ahead of the A's and didn't make a move. Missed the playoffs. This year they are 4 games ahead, and once again, did not make a move. I guess we'll see what happens, but if they miss the playoffs again, Gillick's going to have to think back to today.
This got pointed out in the Rob Neyer chat today on espn.com
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mariners staying put... again

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:26 am

Quaker wrote:Last year at the deadline, the Mariners were 5 games ahead of the A's and didn't make a move. Missed the playoffs. This year they are 4 games ahead, and once again, did not make a move. I guess we'll see what happens, but if they miss the playoffs again, Gillick's going to have to think back to today.
This got pointed out in the Rob Neyer chat today on espn.com

The window is closing, as Moyer and Edgar are 40, and quite a few others are 30+. Guillen or Boone would have been a good move. They let their 2 arch enemies nab them. The sad thing is Seattle draws the most, yet ownership refuses to add payroll during year. Piniella was miffed last year, and a few Mariners have just spoken out.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:21 am

I wonder when Ichiro is available for free agency, and what the mariners would do to keep him...
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Return to Baseball Leftovers