Return to Baseball Leftovers

What happened to Giles and Kendall to SD???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Leiter Fan » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:16 pm

Payne Dailey wrote:They just said on ESPN that it could happen during the waiver period. My guess is the off season.

I severly doubt that he will be dealt in the waiver period. I can't imagine Giles clearing waivers without someone claiming him. He doesn't earn that much money.
Last edited by Leiter Fan on Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:19 pm

good point, now I definatly think it will happen in the off season. Thanks Leiter Fan
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bryan1327 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:42 pm

The wiaver wire thing does not matter to the Padres...for they have the first crack at the WW...here is what I found..

Brian Giles - OF, Pittsburgh Pirates July 31, 6:29 p.m.
The Pirates did not trade Giles before Thursday's non-waiver deadline, but the Padres are still interested in acquiring the San Diego native this season. Giles could still be traded, but he would have to clear waivers first. Because of San Diego's record, the team has waiver priority over all the other NL teams. Pittsburgh would likely do the trade as a package deal in order to unload Jason Kendall's contract.

So...It could still happen..
bryan1327
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: at home listening to hair metal...scouring the internet for baseball stuff

Postby d » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:07 pm

bryan1327 wrote:The wiaver wire thing does not matter to the Padres...for they have the first crack at the WW...here is what I found..

Brian Giles - OF, Pittsburgh Pirates July 31, 6:29 p.m.
The Pirates did not trade Giles before Thursday's non-waiver deadline, but the Padres are still interested in acquiring the San Diego native this season. Giles could still be traded, but he would have to clear waivers first. Because of San Diego's record, the team has waiver priority over all the other NL teams. Pittsburgh would likely do the trade as a package deal in order to unload Jason Kendall's contract.

So...It could still happen..

Interesting fact Bryan! ;-D
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby chinch sacs » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:43 pm

Right, but what about American League teams, like TB and DET, they have worse records, wouldnt they have priority over SD? :-?
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:51 am

chinch sacs wrote:Right, but what about American League teams, like TB and DET, they have worse records, wouldnt they have priority over SD? :-?

They would have waiver priority, but it would be down to whether they were willing to accept his current contract...to take someone off waivers you have to take the current contract they are under...If they clear waivers, then the contract can be renegotiated with the team they are traded to...
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:04 am

I'm crossing my fingers hoping that Giles ends up on another team with a better lineup around him. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby wrveres » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:06 am

Madison wrote:I'm crossing my fingers hoping that Giles ends up on another team with a better lineup around him. B-)

Yep me too ... :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers