Return to Baseball Leftovers

ponson to SF

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lt Columbo » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:30 pm

I'm a huge Giants fan. I like this deal except for the part about giving up Ainsworth, thats mainly because I have always loved watching Ainsworth pitch ever since he came up from the minors. I'm happy to see Moss go because I think the local little league pitchers can throw more strikes that he can. Williams is a stud and Foppert just needs some consistency to be a great number 5 starter. Rueter is definitely still a great pitcher even though he can't strike you out. But his whole approach of pitching is just take the sting out of your bat and let you hit it to one of fielders. Schmidt has become one of the best in the NL and with the addition of Ponson you are looking at one dangerous pitching staff. Giants have done everything they needed to this season. They have had injuries up the wazoo, the following have been injured at least once this year so far - Rueter, Nen, Christiansen, Aurillia, Durham, Snow, Ainsworth, Santiago, and Schmidt missed a couple starts when his mother died. Their bullpen obviously needed help at the beginning of the year especially with closer Robb Nen being out for the year. They acquired Matt Herges from S.D. (an awesome righty), they started the year with 1 lefty and now have 3 in their bullpen, Joe Nathan is back to getting guys out, Worrell is a solid closer for now. anyways, I kinda got off topic ;-D GO GIANTS!!!
Lt Columbo

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby LCBOY » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:43 pm

Althalius wrote:I don't think Ponson is all that. Giants are passing up too much for him, Moss and Ainsworth will be great.

I'll say this again, Moss will NOT be great. He is only 24 DAYS younger than Ponson. So why is Ponson "not all that" but Moss "will be great"? Ainsworth has a chance to be a real quality pitcher. But the Giants have Williams and Foppert and they have a higher ceiling than Ainsworth. GO GIANTS!!!!! ;-D
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -185)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Youppi » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:32 pm

ponson has always had the stuff to be a great pitcher, but he broke down mentally when he struggled and gave up big innings. but he seems to now have that mental toughness to go with his great stuff. i saw him against the rangers earlier this year, he gave up 4 runs but stayed in through 8 innings and pitched well throughout. he should be great addition to any team. i think its a bad trade for teh giants unless they are able to resign him though, since moss is an ok pitcher and ainsworth has great potential. if they cant resign him they will be really hurting though, giving up alot for 1/2 a season of great pitching.
GO EXPOS
Youppi
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: -9)

Go Giants =) (and Brian Sabean)

Postby BayAreaBaseballFan » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:05 pm

Hey,

Go G-Men! I knew they had to make a move and I'm liking it. Moss --COULD-- turn into something good, most likely a solid 3 or 4 starter, but I don't think the Giants had the luxury to wait 2-3 years to see if Damian decided to THROW FRIGGIN STRIKES. I personally see Ainsworth as the bigger loss here, but like we all know, the G-Men have Foppert and Williams (Foppert, btw, once he fixes the little control problem can be WAY more than a solid #5 down the road... but for this season yeah he's probably #5).

2-3 years from now, Barry's probably in the AL Dh'ing somewhere trying to "wipe the Babe from the record books" :*) And thus the Giants' offense goes down the tubes because everyone and their mother knows this offense revolves around Barry. The Giants have this year and maybe next year to be great.

Schmidt, Ponson, Williams, Reuter, Foppert.. yeah that dead sexy.

Buh-bye Dbacks and Dodgers! BYE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

oh, and totally off topic but I liked how the Mariners added exactly a) Jack, and b) Squat, to their team while the A's picked up Guillen. Great idea ~ the possibility of a Bay Bridge Series is still alive baby! ;-D
BayAreaBaseballFan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:31 am

This was a great deal for the Giants for the remainder of the year and post season...but I think the O's got the better end of the deal in the long run...two major league ready SP's for the price of one...Ponson is the better pitcher now..but with development, Moss and Ainsworth can be better...
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -3266)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:51 am

The Giants made a good deal to win this year. They had the young arms to spare and want to win now. Good for them.

The O's got 2 pitchers who are major league ready. Moss needs to bring the walks down and if he can do that, he'd be a good starter. Ainsworth has a higher ceiling and could be the staff ace. The O's got a good deal.

All in all, I think both teams got what they wanted and improved their ballclubs. ;-D ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Re: Go Giants =) (and Brian Sabean)

Postby wrveres » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:02 am

BayAreaBaseballFan wrote:Buh-bye Dbacks and Dodgers! BYE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

LOL ... and all that you said is true. And the sad part about it .. .. Their entire season rests on those tiny ligaments surrounding Barry's knee. Remove him, and they are no better than LA.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby MyAddidas » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:00 pm

Although Schmidt's upside is better, I compare this trade to the one they made for Schmidt in that the Giants will look to re-sign Ponson in the offseason. Don't see any reason Ponson wouldn't want to stay in SF. (pitchers park, great city and good team). If he re-signs, then who's to say whon got the better deal. If the Giants don't win in the playoffs and Ponson leaves then you could prob make a case that Balt got the better deal. Until then, both teams seem to have benefited.
MyAddidas
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:46 am

GSes wrote:While Ponson should put the Giants into the WorldSeries

Those that arent in the bay area dont understand.

Ainsworth and Moss are aces in the making.

Thes 2 guys are like a year or 2 away

Wow

Ainsworth could be a solid #2 in time, Moss is a #4 at best.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: Go Giants =) (and Brian Sabean)

Postby BayAreaBaseballFan » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:31 am

wrveres wrote:
LOL ... and all that you said is true. And the sad part about it .. .. Their entire season rests on those tiny ligaments surrounding Barry's knee. Remove him, and they are no better than LA.

Just like if you remove the Dodgers pitching staff they're no better than my high school baseball team ;-D It's no real secret that the G-men's offense is built around barry -- I mean, if YOU had him, wouldn't you? And I think >>>KNOCK ON WOOD<<< that he's looking good for the rest of the year.
BayAreaBaseballFan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers