Return to Baseball Leftovers

Players who could have been great or greater.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thomasps3 » Wed May 24, 2006 1:02 pm

Well, you've got to think that with the hype he received, Mark Prior would have to be classified as capability to be great, but Dusty ruined him and Kerry Wood.

So I guess Wood and Prior would get my votes...
Image
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1672
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby CadensDad » Wed May 24, 2006 1:02 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
CadensDad wrote: I say Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa


Although I disagree, I can see choosing Barry, because one could reasonably argue that, had he remained a 40/40 threat instead of becoming a power hitter, he could have been better. But how could Sammy have been better than he was? Three straight 60 HR seasons, and you think he could have been better?



Both men had alot of rumors around them and alot of problem with the press. If the whole steriods issue hadn't come up and corked bat thing I think both men might have lasted longer and been better liked and the stats might have been the same but they would have just looked like better stats. I mean now when you see the 714-Bonds and the 6??- Sosa (Not sure on his exact numbers) you think "how tainted where those hits?"
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Wed May 24, 2006 1:15 pm

I'll say Teddy Ballgame. What was it, 5 or parts of 5 years gone because of War.


Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10468
(Past Year: 49)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 24, 2006 1:18 pm

Griffey, if he's stayed healthy his entire career, would probably be challenging Aarons mark as well
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10224
(Past Year: -1)
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikhayl » Wed May 24, 2006 1:28 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:Griffey, if he's stayed healthy his entire career, would probably be challenging Aarons mark as well


A casualty of the Kingdome :-t
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 839
Joined: 9 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Postby CadensDad » Wed May 24, 2006 1:38 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:Griffey, if he's stayed healthy his entire career, would probably be challenging Aarons mark as well



Still a small chance he is at 542 if he adds say 30 more to it this year than maybe moves to AL as a DH I could see him staying around another 5 years as a DH if he can move there soon and stay healthy. Still a small chance there,
“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Wed May 24, 2006 5:42 pm

ALBERT BELLE
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 413
Joined: 1 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: DE

Postby mikhayl » Wed May 24, 2006 5:46 pm

Belle4Hall88 wrote:ALBERT BELLE


Yes, Belle was so well loved by his teammates and such a paragon of virtue in the community that he could've been challenging Bonds today for the biggest dbag in professional sports if his hip didn't go caput.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 839
Joined: 9 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Postby acsguitar » Wed May 24, 2006 5:58 pm

1. Darryl Strawberry
2. Doc Gooden
3. Ken Griffey Jr.
4. Don Mattingly
5. Bo Jackson
6. Kirby Puckett
7. Um Lou Gherig
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests