Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeff Suppan to Red Sox

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:11 pm

Great deal for the Pirates! :-)

Folks that are complaining ... Remember that Suppan always has had some talent. He immediately has the lowest ERA among Sox starters not named Pedro Martinez, he has the most shutouts of *any* Red Sox starter, he's an innings-eater, he's still 28, and he's an all right pitcher. You're also getting a good young reliever back. Good deal for both sides, though, all that said, I do admit the Pirates came off better ... :-)

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby d » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:26 pm

Thanks for the heads up guys!!! :-)
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BamaJT » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:28 pm

Well all of the players involved in the Sauerbeck deal went back to their original teams, except Sauerbeck.

So the trade effectively is Suppan and Sauerbeck for Sanchez. I think both teams got what they wanted out of this one.
BamaJT
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby stupidllamas » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:34 pm

BamaJT wrote:Well all of the players involved in the Sauerbeck deal went back to their original teams, except Sauerbeck.

So the trade effectively is Suppan and Sauerbeck for Sanchez. I think both teams got what they wanted out of this one.

good call on that one, but don't the red sox also keep the other pitcher they got in the Saurbeck deal? I think Suppan will be a decent 3rd starter although is 6.40+ ERA at Fenway and his 6.90 ERA vs the hated Yankees are both not encouraging.....
stupidllamas
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:42 pm

Look, I love Freddy Sanchez, but trading pretty much any minor leaguer for two good pro pitchers is always a good deal.

And, no, all the pitchers, save Sauerbeck, went back from the original Lyon-Sauerbeck and minorleaguers deal.

;-D Good Job Theo!
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers