Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red's new closer - Reitsma & Heredia

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Red's new closer - Reitsma & Heredia

Postby d » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:02 pm

Cincinnati Enquirer: By trading relief pitcher Scott Williamson to the Red Sox late Tuesday, the Reds are now employing a closer-by-committee approach.

Right-hander Chris Reitsma and left-hander Felix Heredia will get the first opportunity.

"We're probably not looking at the prototypical one-inning save either," manager Dave Miley said. "Both of those guys are capable of pitching two innings.

"We'll just have to see how it goes and hopefully it will fall into place. But I think those guys probably deserve the first opportunities to go there."

Heredia, who pitched two scoreless innings Wednesday, hasn't allowed a run in his past 12 outings.

Reitsma pitched a scoreless 10th for his eighth win. He is now 5-1 with a 1.78 ERA in his past 22 appearances.

http://reds.enquirer.com/2003/07/31/Redsnotes-0731.html

grab them while you can :-)
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:19 pm

It's a good start... thanks d! Now let's see if the Reds can get some wins to even use these guys...
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 6)

Bah, it doesn't matter

Postby BayAreaBaseballFan » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:47 pm

As a former disgruntled Williamson owner... it was pretty pathetic to see him get like.. maybe 1 save in the entire past month (or something close to that). With Guillen gone and Boone having a foot out the door -- and with little immediate pitching help, I doubt the Reds will manage to attain, much less keep, a 1-3 run lead into the 8th or 9th inning.

Oh, and I also had Lincoln as my 5th closer -- GREAT idea that was. Now I'm back down to Izzy, Worrell and Percival. oh well, guess that makes more room for some waiver staters...

oh, and at least the Giants are HOT HOT HOT ;-D

GO G-MEN
(oh, and I'm REALLY glad that by having Guillen, I got an Athletic overnight!)
BayAreaBaseballFan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby d » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:16 pm

BayAreaBaseballFan wrote:Oh, and I also had Lincoln as my 5th closer -- GREAT idea that was. Now I'm back down to Izzy, Worrell and Percival. oh well, guess that makes more room for some waiver staters...

Reitsma should be a better bet than Lincoln for now :-)
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:15 pm

I would hate to have to rely on Reitsma as a closer (although I may have to in one league), but I like him better than Lincoln.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -450)

Postby warrick95 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:33 pm

Well, a pro about Reitsma is that he qualifies at SP as well, so he doesn't really waste a spot at RP/P.

No Wagner, though? That surprises me.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -150)

Postby d » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:38 pm

The Reds may not want to rush Wagner. Maybe he will will close if both Reitsma and Heredia fail. :-)
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby crazybob60 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:04 pm

I don't like what I am hearing about this and how they are going to test Heredia in this role. He is just flat out awful. First we had to deal with Williamson and him always either loading the bases up before closing games or his wild pitches and now this with Heredia whom I don't think is really that good. Reitsma is good and should be used, and I have a feeling that Wagner will be great and probably good enough right now to use, but they may not want to rush him either but remember this is my beloved reds and they will probably screw it all up and make like Wagner a starter or something like they were talkin' bout.
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers