Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where are those Dontrelle Willis detractors now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:14 pm

Nomar4prez wrote:
blankman wrote:I'm still a Willis detractor. He can't keep it up. Call it a gut feeling or something like that.

I've had a gut feeling that the Red Sox were gonna win a world series for 20+years. Trust me, don't depend on gut feelings.

:-D . I know what you mean, but I still believe that Willis can't keep it up. Good luck with the Sox this year. Maybe this is the year and if not, there's always next year ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 240Z » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:20 pm

Anonymous wrote:I dealt him for Millwood. The way I figure, the Phillies are in the hunt for the East, the marlins are in the hunt for, well, I dont know.

You don't know? Well, that would be the NL wildcard, considering they just swept the two teams that were ahead of them for it and are now only 1 game behind Philly...we'll see how they fare against the Astros this weekend, then we'll now how serious the Marlins should be taken.
240Z
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby red » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:56 pm

I don't think Willis has detractors, so much as a lot of us have been saying that Brandon Webb is as deserviing (or more deserving) than Willis of all the press. Including last night's games, here's the numbers: Willis: 10-2; 2.49ERA, 1.20WHIP. Webb: 7-4; 2.49ERA, 1.06WHIP. Similar numbers, but Webb slightly better, given the WHIP. K numbers are practically the same.
But, Dontrelle was an all-star, and Webb is an afterthought. Doesn't make sense to me.
No one is knocking Dontrelle-- just saying, why all the fuss when there are a few guys in his class- with Jerome Williams and Rich Harden not far behind.
He's one of many. So, let's not knock him, but let's not make him a saint either.
He's a talented young pitcher with a quirky delivery and a great big smile. Smiles go a long way in Hollywood but they dont' mean much in fantasy baseball.
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kcs261 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:26 pm

10-2 from a rookie, along with one of the most unique deliveries, is going to get a guy some attention.

A lot of is just the delivery that intrigues people. It's worth watching because it's so unique.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby rufus102 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:20 pm

Anonymous wrote:I dealt him for Millwood. The way I figure, the Phillies are in the hunt for the East, the marlins are in the hunt for, well, I dont know.

They've got these really cool things, all over the papers and the internets..... they're called "Standings". Check 'em out. They're neat!
rufus102
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -2)

Postby Ousmagic » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:57 pm

once the marlins are ahead of the phillies then maybe you'll know what they are in the hunt for
Ousmagic
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:19 pm

I completely apologize for the marlin joke. meant no harm. hell, Im a Met fan. I got nothing to lose. But I would take Millwood for the remainder of the season over Willis.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers