Return to Baseball Leftovers

please, stop whining about a. boone potentially being a yank

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Shitney™ » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:13 am

the $3.1 was a signing bonus, it was the reason no other team could afford him; he made $630,000 last year and signed a 1-year deal for $800,000 this year
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:01 am

"Selig heard at 12:30 a.m. ET on Thursday that the Reds had shipped Aaron Boone and Gabe White to the Yankees for Brandon Claussen and $3 million. He talked to Sandy Alderson and told him that he would not approve it.

Alderson called Selig at 9:30 a.m. ET on Thursday to tell him that both the Yankees and Reds asked that he reconsider. "No way," Selig said. "There's no way that they're going to exceed the $1 million limit."

Selig did agree to talk to Reds owner Carl Lindner and Yankees president Randy Levine. "They made their cases, but I made mine in pretty strong terms," says Selig. "I told them that they'd have to restructure the deals with prospects and do it with Sandy. They weren't happy about it, and I probably used some choice language, but this is all part of a competitive balance problem that this industry faces."

In the end, the Yankees agreed to add pitcher Charlie Manning and make it $1 million in cash for Boone. They split off Gabe White, made it $400,000 and added low-level prospects.

"So I at least got it cut in half," says the Commissioner. "The Boston deal (for Scott Williamson) exceeded the $1 million limit ($1.25 million), but that was our error and we'll work it out." - Gammons, ESPN.com

Yeah, I'm sure they're real busy working it out :-[

It's pretty obvious Selig doesn't like Stein or the Yanks very much as evidenced by his luxury taxes and other decisions. I think it's hilarious Stein doesn't care and still spends whatever he wants anyway.
And about the Cliff Floyd deal, if you don't think that was one-sided then you're kidding yourself. The Sox were right in the playoff hunt and they got an All-Star caliber OF and lost no one from their ML team. He hit over .300 for them and was one of their best hitters. Yes, he's doing nothing for the Sox this year because they didn't sign him. What's he doing for the Mets? Being their best player, even before the trades. What's Song doing for the Expos this year? Nothing, cause he's in Double A. Maybe he'll be up next year, and maybe he'll even do well, but at the time it was a player dump and an obvious one. Do you think the Expos even care if he develops? No. They'd probably rather him not, then they won't have to give him a good salary. All the Expos/MLB/Selig wanted was to not pay Floyd and for the Sox to beat the Yanks. Well, 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby wrveres » Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:23 am

Fricking Bud Selig, nice to see his hammer swings evenly huh. LOL .. And that is why Vazquez .. .. Guerrero .. .. Vidro .. .. Cabrera will never be traded to the NYY. Selig has two teams to "Rich Fat Slob's" one .. so take that Georgie Porgie .. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers