Return to Baseball Leftovers

please, stop whining about a. boone potentially being a yank

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:12 pm

Well they did develop,
Pettite, Jeter, Soriano, Posada and Bernie I believe. I may be wrong. I would like to think that even New Yorkers would enjoy a hard worker like Boone, obviouslly not.

Just to give George some insight into his avail pitchers pool for next year ... He can "BUY" Vazquez, "BUY" Millwood, "BUY" Suppan, and then fix the outfield by "BUYING" Vlad. Boone can anchor third now that you have "BOUGHT" Him, and then you could start the first ever AL allstar team on a daily basis.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shitney™ » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:13 pm

they didnt develop soriano... he played years in japan, and then they out bid everyone for the rights to him...

i don't know about anyone else..
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -17)

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:35 pm

Shitney™ wrote:they didnt develop soriano... he played years in japan, and then they out bid everyone for the rights to him...

I think you are confusing Soriano and Matsui.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:40 pm

wrveres wrote:
Shitney™ wrote:they didnt develop soriano... he played years in japan, and then they out bid everyone for the rights to him...

I think you are confusing Soriano and Matsui.

No I think he's right, he was playing in Japan then the yanks outbid everyone else. He wasn't the player he is today back then so there wasn't much hype.He was going to be a backup for Jimenez.
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shitney™ » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:25 pm

i would never confuse soriano with anyone :-)

they outbid by alot, giving him 3 million signing bonus at age 20 with no US experience..

at the time he was a SS and the yankees just wanted to store him in the minors

"The Future: Soriano is too good and will be too much in demand to sit and wait his turn like many Yankees prospects have, especially if he gets off to a fast start in 1999 at Norwich or Columbus" -- written in '98 after the signing..
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -17)

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:24 pm

Shitney™ wrote:they outbid by alot, giving him 3 million signing bonus at age 20 with no US experience..

Are you sure it was 3 million? Whats your source? My understanding was that he was signed by almost 1 million and he was certainly attainable for anyone one else. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd like to see your source. I guess the scouts got it right with him though;-D.

As for the lack of pitching development by the Yankees, this is true. But if you weren't aware Mariano Rivera was also brought up with Pettite in '95. Since, there's been pretty much nothing other than Mendoza.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby Payne Dailey » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:53 pm

Soriano signed for 3.1 mil over four years. He had to "retire" from his team in Japan to be available as a free agent. The yanks had the highest offer, looks like a steal to me, anyone could have paid that .
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:18 pm

Payne Dailey wrote:Soriano signed for 3.1 mil over four years.

Oh, over 4 years- that changes everything. Anyone could have afforded to sign Soriano at that price, so for anyone to say the Yanks "bought" Soriano is stupid.

Thanks Payne for clearing that up ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 01, 2003 4:27 am

Payne Dailey wrote:Soriano signed for 3.1 mil over four years. He had to "retire" from his team in Japan to be available as a free agent. The yanks had the highest offer, looks like a steal to me, anyone could have paid that .

The Yankees got a steal there! And I agree that any team could have afforded that.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby wrveres » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:10 am

Shitney™ wrote:"The Future: Soriano is too good and will be too much in demand to sit and wait his turn like many Yankees prospects have, especially if he gets off to a fast start in 1999 at Norwich or Columbus" -- written in '98 after the signing..

so I guess it would be safe to assume that the Yankees spent 1999, 2000 and 2001 developing him. :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers