Return to Baseball Leftovers

please, stop whining about a. boone potentially being a yank

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pilambp » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:41 am

Anonymous wrote:from one Guest to another, I agree entirely. Even Lyon for Saurbeck is very one-sided and if you go back to last year MLB/Expos gave the Red Stockings Cliff Floyd for 2 no-name minor leaguers. But yet, no one complains unless it's the Yanks. It's just how life is, I guess.

Two no name minor leaguers, right?

One of those prospects was Seung Song. Song happens to be one of the best pitchers in minor league baseball right now, and will join the Expos rotation next year, if not by the end of this season. And where is Cliff Floyd right now... not doing the Sox any good. You should look into these trades before you call them "one-sided"
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -46)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:45 am

Super GM wrote:Boone has a lot of value, so why are you Yankee fans whining about having to give up Claussen. Boone should help the Yanks bigtime.

Sure Boone has a lot of value, but Claussen has MUCH more value to the Yankees. Boone isn't that big of an improvement over Ventura to warrant trading our best prospect and a guy that will be starting next year when at least 2 Yankee starters leave and for years to come after that. Hitting is not something the Yankees need at this time- its bullpen help. So, I don't think Boone will help the Yanks bigtime since they already have plenty of guys who can get it done.

Most likely if you aren't a Yankee fan, you'd like to see the trade happen, so the Yankees end up missing out on their best prospect.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby Shitney™ » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:51 am

blankman wrote:Sure Boone has a lot of value, but Claussen has MUCH more value....[which doesn't] warrant trading our best prospect and a guy that will be starting next year

i paraphrased your post to make it shorter, i hope i got the spirit right...

the way i see it Claussen will be traded; he's been in every yankee trade rumor; it's just a matter of to who for what..
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -17)

Postby Super GM » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:31 pm

blankman wrote:Sure Boone has a lot of value, but Claussen has MUCH more value to the Yankees. Boone isn't that big of an improvement over Ventura to warrant trading our best prospect and a guy that will be starting next year when at least 2 Yankee starters leave and for years to come after that. Hitting is not something the Yankees need at this time- its bullpen help. So, I don't think Boone will help the Yanks bigtime since they already have plenty of guys who can get it done.

Most likely if you aren't a Yankee fan, you'd like to see the trade happen, so the Yankees end up missing out on their best prospect.
Ok, blankman, please tell me if I'm wrong. Isn't it right that the Yankees have been buying and trading for starters left and right? Why is Claussen SO valuable? They have John Lieber on the DL right now, he's a top pitcher, they signed one-time starter Sterling Hitchcock just to make him a reliever, they got Weaver in a trade, signed Wells, have Pettitte, still have Clemens. C'mon, wouldn't you say the Yanks have PLENTY of starting pitchers?! Claussen is expendable and therefor shouldn't have that much value! IMO
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)

Postby guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:35 pm

Claussen is on the Rich Harden level as far as prospects go, I hear ... It would be absolutely brainless for the Yanks to trade him away. I don't think Claussen's going anywhere, unless George is even more of an idiot than he's been in the past.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:39 pm

Shitney™ wrote:the way i see it Claussen will be traded; he's been in every yankee trade rumor; it's just a matter of to who for what..

Thats not neccessarily true. Remember when Soriano was rumored to be in every Yankee trade?- Juan Gone, Sosa. So, the Yankees have held onto their top prospects before- also Nick Johnson, so I think Claussen has a good chance of staying.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:05 pm

Super GM wrote:Ok, blankman, please tell me if I'm wrong. Isn't it right that the Yankees have been buying and trading for starters left and right? Why is Claussen SO valuable? They have John Lieber on the DL right now, he's a top pitcher, they signed one-time starter Sterling Hitchcock just to make him a reliever, they got Weaver in a trade, signed Wells, have Pettitte, still have Clemens. C'mon, wouldn't you say the Yanks have PLENTY of starting pitchers?! Claussen is expendable and therefor shouldn't have that much value! IMO

This is not meant to argue with you, but to only "enlighten" you in this situation about Claussen's value. I'm not saying you're stupid or anything, just that you may not be as informed on this subject and I'll try to show you why your above statement is incorrect:

What you are doing is basing everything on this year and not next year and the years after that. The Yankees certainly have a boatload of SP's this year.

Next year, the Yankees will definately lose Clemens and Hitchcock. Wells and Pettite leaving/retiring in Wells' case, is also very likely.

For starters next year they'll have Mussina, Weaver (if they don't trade the headcase), Contreras (if he's not hurt again) and Leiber. That leaves a spot open for Claussen in the rotation.

IMO its most likely that Pettite is re-signed and Weaver is traded, meaning Claussen will start next year.

Just because he's not up with the team this year, doesn't mean he's expendable. He has TONS of value for next year and the future and to trade him for a slight upgrade for this year is among the dumbest things the Yankees could do.

As a NY Rangers fan I know what its like to see a team sacrifice its future for a veteran and I know that it usually doesn't work and I'd hate to see the Yankees do that by trading Claussen.

I'll do my best at making an analogy for you. Lets say the Yankees had SS Jose Reyes in the minors. They already have Jeter at short and Soriano at 2B, so Reyes has nowhere to play. Does that mean he "shouldn't have that much value"? Of course not. You don't trade your best prospect for a slight improvement just because he has nowhere to play. Maybe this isn't a great analogy, since Claussen actually will have a place to play next year.

Basically what this trade would say is that since the Yankees have several starters this year, they should trade their best prospect for a moderate improvement without caring about the future. Think about what if the Braves traded Glavine when he was a prospect for minor improvement. Its the same with the Yanks trading Claussen- its not worth it in the long run.

BTY- Hitchcock was actually signed to be the 4th starter a few years ago. But subsequent trades and signings relegated him to the bullpen. Again, his signing was intended to be as a starter, but the Yankees acquired other starters and he pitched himself into the bullpen.

hope this helps the understanding of you and others on my thoughts on this subject.
Sorry for such a long post.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:42 pm

Super GM- don't let all my hard work on the last post go to waste LOL :-D . At least say something ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:38 pm

I think what Super Gm is trying to say ... it thats the Yankees couldn't possible know what Value is. How can Claussen be important when you could just go out and buy 2, 3, or 4 starters in the offseason. It's is kinda how they built there current staff .. right?

On the other hand, quality 3B are very hard to come across.
Boone will be much more valuable to the Yankees. This year and the next.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Shitney™ » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:40 pm

blankman wrote: so I think Claussen has a good chance of staying.

sorry about losing him, maybe you'll change your mind about boone when he starts kickin booty
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -17)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers