Return to Baseball Leftovers

Boone a Yankee?! Say it ain't so........

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Boone a Yankee?! Say it ain't so........

Postby tjhksig » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:36 pm

Gammons just said a 3 way deal w/ Boston, Cincy, and Seattle has fallen through and now it's likely Boone will be shipped to the Yankees for Claussen and $3 mil.

THIS is what is wrong w/ baseball.

The Yanks will continue to take on great players and throw money around until they are assured a title. I expect Guerrero is next.......

Baseball needs a salary cap, this is getting out of hand.......(see my post about "Any new trades?" a little further down the page.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:41 pm

Dude there are 2 good Boone's as of last year. Which Boone are you talking about?
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby Quaker » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:45 pm

Most likely Aaron. Seattle needs another bat, they don't want to trade away one of their best ones.

This trade doesn't bother me, I don't think it's a big deal. Aaron isn't that good and the Reds would be getting a very nice prospect.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chinch sacs » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:46 pm

Aaron Boone is the only one on the trading block, so we HAVE to assume its him... Duh...
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:46 pm

The Jury wrote:Dude there are 2 good Boone's as of last year. Which Boone are you talking about?

Well, it's got to be 'da Cincy one. The Ms trade Brett to the Yankees, who don't need a second baseman? Please.

And, yes, this is what's wrong with baseball.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

Postby blankman » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:02 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:And, yes, this is what's wrong with baseball.

Whats wrong with baseball is the large group of pocket-lining owners who don't give a crap about their teams, and only care about cutting payroll and keeping more money for themselves.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby tjhksig » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:05 pm

blankman wrote:

Whats wrong with baseball is the large group of pocket-lining owners who don't give a crap about their teams, and only care about cutting payroll and keeping more money for themselves.

Also, what's wrong is Billionaire owners taken advantage of those teams cutting payroll and abusing baseball loose rules to buy their way to a championship. MLB needs to follow the NBA and NFL and get a salary cap. What's the point of a luxury tax if only one team dares to go over it, and that team doesn't care if they're 100 Million over?
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:59 am

blankman wrote:

You know what would be really neet. If Bill Gates bought the Red Sox and spent the next 50 years out spending George. I figure by that time, there will only be two baseball teams anyways. Then who would watch Georgie Porgie? You could play the Red Sox everyday and broadcast it on your network. And then the only people who would care would be the sociapaths that call themselves Yankee and Sox fans now. It could be like a new WWF for the Northeastern Seaboard. We can call it the "George League of Baseball" or GLB.

I think we saw the glimpse of baseball's direction this last winter. Old overpirced players are not the market anymore. Nobody wanted Sanders, Lofton, IROD, Finley ... just to name a few. This is the begginning of a salary cap. Stupid huge contracts will become few and far between. Except in the GLB of course.

Owners will just refuse to sign the big money. exept in the .....

GLB :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:17 am

blankman wrote:Whats wrong with baseball is the large group of pocket-lining owners who don't give a crap about their teams, and only care about cutting payroll and keeping more money for themselves.

True, teams like KC, Cincy, etc. are ruining the game nearly as much as the Yankees. There needs to be a salary floor to force teams to spend money on the players. Otherwise, it's a joke. Great point.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:11 am

Transmogrifier wrote: There needs to be a salary floor to force teams to spend money on the players.

To me, thats baseball's biggest need. Instead of taking the Yankee's luxary tax money and stuffing it into their pockets, they should be forced to spend it on their team. And if they can't afford to spend it, which is unlikely, they should sell their team. That alone would make for much better competition.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Return to Baseball Leftovers