Return to Baseball Leftovers

A-Rod considering trade!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Leiter Fan » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:19 am

blankman wrote:
tjhksig wrote:Of course, you're a Yankee fan, so why do you care? It's like a guy buying a prostitute; why work for sex when you can just BUY it?

Thats a very poor analogy. I've decided not to care too much anymore. Whine all you want, George doesn't care that you whine and I'll try not to care anymore.

I actually thought that was a pretty inovative analogy - and accurate.

And the reason George doesn't care about tjhksig's whining, is because it can't hear it over all HIS OWN WHINING!!! (I can cite numerous examples from the local NY papers if you like!!)
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tjhksig » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:22 am

Thanks Leiter Fan, I know non Yank fans would see the humor (and truth) in that. I'm almost as disgusted w/ the Reds, but at least they don't do this year in and year out.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:23 am

I'm a Mets fan (obviously) so I've grown used to being disgusted this year. :~(
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:02 am

[quote=Why should they? They aren't breaking any rules. They pay the luxary tax. You can whine about a salary cap, but until one is instituted the Yankees or any other team don't have to refrain from spending. Other owners have the money to do what the Yankees do, but they choose to line their own pockets and claim that cities like Clevand and Detriot are small-market- please.[/quote]

NY plays within the rules, but its far from a even playing field. NY generates the most tv revenue, giving George more $ to spend. Most other owners couldnt field a 130 mil team. They would go broke fast. These owners didnt become millionaires losing $. If you can explain how TB or Montreal, or even KC, can field a 130 mil team, i'm sure their gm would listen. BB needs a low and high cap.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Leiter Fan » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:04 am

HOOTIE wrote:[quote=Why should they? They aren't breaking any rules. They pay the luxary tax. You can whine about a salary cap, but until one is instituted the Yankees or any other team don't have to refrain from spending. Other owners have the money to do what the Yankees do, but they choose to line their own pockets and claim that cities like Clevand and Detriot are small-market- please.

NY plays within the rules, but its far from a even playing field. NY generates the most tv revenue, giving George more $ to spend. Most other owners couldnt field a 130 mil team. They would go broke fast. These owners didnt become millionaires losing $. If you can explain how TB or Montreal, or even KC, can field a 130 mil team, i'm sure their gm would listen. BB needs a low and high cap.[/quote]

George would have to cut a lot of salary to get down to $130 million. Before getting rid of Mondesi yesterday, the Yankees payroll was at $185 million.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:15 am

Shitney™ wrote:cent #1 : A-Rod said he would consider a trade if it came up, Texas responded with "huh?", we have never considered trading him, we don't think we will consider trading him, we wont say we won't, but its not something on our minds right now... (this is a pararphrase of course)

exactly ... Texas was blindsided by this comment. Arod has as much a chance of playing for the Mets as say, .... Piazza has of DH'n for the Rangers ... Hey, come to think of it, I just solved the financial problem ..

It is kinda of funny to hear a Mets fan complain about spending though. Especially while the Padres Gm is in Pittsburgh with his 45 million budget, begging. I imagine that next we will hear a Red Sox Fan bitching because the Yankees are going to buy a bullpen.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Time running out

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:29 am

With so much money involved, I would find it very hard to believe A-Rod would be going anywhere with such a small window of time left on the trade deadline. I'd love to see him in an M's uniform again though!!!
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
(Past Year: -681)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers