Return to Baseball Leftovers

Juan Pierre is a frickin' menace!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Leiter Fan » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:19 am

The thing that makes me even happier to have him is that I only drafted him as a consolation prize when I failed to land Luis Castillo (if you recall, the Marlins started the season with Castillo at leadoff and Pierre batting second). In fact, a friend of mine told me I wasted a pick (even though it was the 13th round, as my third outfielder), because Juan would never be able to run with Castillo always in front of him.

Boy, did I get lucky on that one!!! Lucky number 13 for me!!! :-D
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:23 am

Leiter Fan wrote:The thing that makes me even happier to have him is that I only drafted him as a consolation prize when I failed to land Luis Castillo (if you recall, the Marlins started the season with Castillo at leadoff and Pierre batting second). In fact, a friend of mine told me I wasted a pick (even though it was the 13th round, as my third outfielder), because Juan would never be able to run with Castillo always in front of him.

Boy, did I get lucky on that one!!! Lucky number 13 for me!!! :-D

I drafted Pierre and avoided Castillo, because this was not suprising at all. Castillo had surgery and was slower because of it. Pierre is faster than a healthy Castillo. Offseason research. :-? It always pays off. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby d » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:34 am

Madison wrote:I drafted Pierre and avoided Castillo, because this was not suprising at all. Castillo had surgery and was slower because of it. Pierre is faster than a healthy Castillo. Offseason research. :-? It always pays off. ;-)

Agreed with Madison, I'm a proud owner of Pierre in all my leagues :-)
Drafted him in all but my AL only league :-D
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:42 am

Madison wrote:I drafted Pierre and avoided Castillo, because this was not suprising at all. Castillo had surgery and was slower because of it. Pierre is faster than a healthy Castillo. Offseason research. :-? It always pays off. ;-)

"Chance Favors the Prepared Mind"

I too drafted Castillo, built a 30 SB cushion before the break and traded him for Biggio. NL only. I needed a 2B bad at the time. I still have a 25 SB lead with 2 months to go .. but I couldn't have gotten much better anyways. SB is one CAT. ONE. I still have that lead because the rest of my team contributes.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:08 am

I love pierre! That guy has single handedly given me second in steals..well almost single handedly. But, I've got a bit of a dilemma. I'm about 6 steals behind the leader (gap closing), and I'm also 15 steals ahead of the next guy. Do I try to squeeze out that extra point, or do I play someone with a bit more pop, but will have almost 0 chance of stealing? That should help my HR and RBIS, but AVG and Runs should be about the same.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:26 am

Anonymous wrote:I love pierre! That guy has single handedly given me second in steals..well almost single handedly. But, I've got a bit of a dilemma. I'm about 6 steals behind the leader (gap closing), and I'm also 15 steals ahead of the next guy. Do I try to squeeze out that extra point, or do I play someone with a bit more pop, but will have almost 0 chance of stealing? That should help my HR and RBIS, but AVG and Runs should be about the same.

If you can, wait until you build up a lead in 1st in SB's, then trade him- not to any team near you in SB's though.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby Shitney™ » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:38 am

tjhksig wrote: He will have eleventeen steals. (It's the number between 80 and 82).

i'm not buying that.. everyway i look at eleventeen it's 111

"Today is my one hundred and eleventh birthday: I am eleventy-one today!" ~ Bilbo
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -17)

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:40 am

Shitney™ wrote:
tjhksig wrote: He will have eleventeen steals. (It's the number between 80 and 82).

i'm not buying that.. everyway i look at eleventeen it's 111

I was also questioning that. I can't see any way that eleventeen could be 81.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:03 pm

true, but then again, I favor a power speed combo, easier said than done. But I put a lot of stock int he beltran abreu types and then flesh out the cateogory with good players with modest, but perceptible sb totals. Like brett boone, cabrera, rolen, the types of guys who can get 10 or so, almost incidentally. Ia m in second. the guy with pierre is in fourth (in steals).
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby IchiBalls » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:44 pm

I drafted him in the 10th round on one team and the 12th round on another team. I'm currently 2nd in steals in both leagues and 1st overall (just took over 1st by half a point last night in one of em for the first time all season), I'm loving him ;-D
IchiBalls
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers