Return to Baseball Leftovers

Juan Pierre is a frickin' menace!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Juan Pierre is a frickin' menace!

Postby Super GM » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:28 pm

Everytime I take the lead in the stolen base category this week, he allway ties it up the next day! That guy is just unstoppable! How many steals do you think he'll end up with? I'm now taking bets?

BTW Arlo, that would be a good one for the pick-3 championship....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:32 pm

i'm not surprised, the first thing he said when he came over to florida was he was gonna run. espn predicted 70. im gonna go with 82
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -12)

Postby Arlo » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:38 pm

Pierre is absolutely amazing. Several teams in my league have less steals than he does...

And if we were predicting steals, I think most of us would have whiffed on Luis Castillo. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby 240Z » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:56 pm

Hey, Luis had a steal tonight lol. I'll have to say 78 steals for JP though.
240Z
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Madison » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:20 pm

And those of us who drafted Pierre are reaping the rewards! :-D He won't hit a single home run all year, but he wins the steals department all by himself. :-D

It should be interesting to see where he's drafted next year. :-? Especially in roto leagues.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby Leiter Fan » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:25 pm

I don't think I'm overstating things to say that Pierre is one of the most irreplaceable players on fantasy teams that are lucky enough to have him - mine included. :-D

Like Madison says, he can carry your entire SB category all by himself. In fact, his 52 stolen bases are more than the total for 14 different MAJOR LEAGUE TEAMS!!!!!!
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tjhksig » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:26 pm

He will have eleventeen steals. (It's the number between 80 and 82).

I think if you can swing two power hitting OF's, you can just stick Pierre in your 3rd spot and draft the rest of the positions based on power and not worry about that damn Steals category.

He will probably be ranked too high by damn Yahoo to be worth a pick (top 15 OF's?).
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:30 pm

tjhksig wrote:He will have eleventeen steals. (It's the number between 80 and 82).

I think if you can swing two power hitting OF's, you can just stick Pierre in your 3rd spot and draft the rest of the positions based on power and not worry about that damn Steals category.

He will probably be ranked too high by damn Yahoo to be worth a pick (top 15 OF's?).

That was my strategy. My other outfielders are Manny Ramirez, Brian Giles, and Jose Guillen. And with Renteria as my shortstop, I can just sit back and enjoy winning the SB category every week.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:31 pm

tjhksig wrote:He will probably be ranked too high by damn Yahoo to be worth a pick (top 15 OF's?).

Likely very true. You have to be annoyed by the people that put stock into Yahoo rankings and end up screwing up your draft strategy, for example Smoltz went top-13 or so in my draft.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:11 am

I'll say that Pierre will go as high as Gagne/Smoltz. Either one of those 2 basically wins you the saves catagory or at least keeps you toward the top. Pierre is that way in the steals catagory. The only difference is that there really isn't anyone close to him in steals this year which makes him even more valuable.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers