Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Unit vs. Big Hope update

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Big Unit vs. Big Hope update

Postby Super GM » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:15 pm

This is the latest scoreline:

Arizona leads it by one thanx to a home run by Alex Cintron in the 1st inning off Dontrelle Willis.

RJ's stats: 4 IP 2H 1BB 3K 4.35 ERA
Dontrelle's stats: 4 IP 3H 1R 1ER 2BB 5K 1HR 2.58 ERA

Cabrera seems to be having some problems with the Big Unit. The rookie is 0-2 with 2K!
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Super GM » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:24 pm

RJ's stats: 5 IP 3H 1BB 3K 4.25 ERA
Dontrelle's stats: 5 IP 3H 1R 1ER 2BB 7K 1HR 2.55 ERA
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)

Postby Arlo » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:34 pm

Excellent contest so far! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -1472)

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:40 pm

dontrelle's lookin pretty good, i dont care if he gets the win or not but it looks like he might. pierre got a steal so im happy. great job dontrell!! ;-D
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -12)

Postby 240Z » Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:58 pm

Been a great game so far. Marlins take the lead thanks to a Hillenbrand error and the speed of Pierre and Castillo. I was on the edge of my seat for the whole inning.
240Z
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sinicalypse » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:10 pm

i hope it don't jinx him, but through 7 innings dontrelle has managed to outpitch the unit Himself. sure, many of us here have been touting the kid since the early days (i myself sold out the dontrelle willis express about a month or two ago)

but it actually looks like this kid has a chance to be one of the first rookie phenoms (only fidyrich comes to mind) who has a chance to actually continue his pace, or even getting better from where he is... barring injury, of course, i don't see that all of a sudden the gig's going to be up... his mortality this season only came after an hour and 20 minute rain delay against the cubs weakened him, then he got shelled. but when it's proper conditions, look at what the kid can do... he'll give up runs, sure, but when it's a tight game he seems to stick with it. since i nabbed him ~10 starts ago, i can't think of one game, that last cubs game excluded, where it's been tight and he gave a 2 or 3 run lead to an opposing team.

bottom of the 7th, 2 out, nobody on... mckeon is letting dontrelle bat for himself... 104 pitches through 7, so it looks like he has an outside chance for a CG, but realistically, he looks like he's going to do about 8 innings... let's see if he can hold the d-backs down for what will be arguably his 2nd biggest start after that 1 hit mets shutout that was on national tv. this unit vs willis matchup was hyped up for days on ESPN, so now that it looks like the kid's going to deliver the goods, let the hype ensue.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby pkarr5000 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:13 pm

well now he's out. mondesi just made him leave. overall spectacular game by dontrelle. if he gets the win, ill be okay with benching teixiera tonight
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -12)

Postby Payne Dailey » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:15 pm

D-Train just got pulled. Doesn't make sense to me . Why let him bat then pull him in the top of the next inning in such a close ball game. He's a pitcher it's 2-1 in the late innings , I think the old dog is letting the hype make his decisions. Hell of a game though..
Payne Dailey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Leiter Fan » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:21 pm

Payne Dailey wrote:D-Train just got pulled. Doesn't make sense to me . Why let him bat then pull him in the top of the next inning in such a close ball game. He's a pitcher it's 2-1 in the late innings , I think the old dog is letting the hype make his decisions. Hell of a game though..

He wanted to force Brenley to take Spivey out, I'm assuming. Otherwise, he could've just left Spivey in to face Urbina. It was 2 outs and no one on anyway - if someone was on base, Dontrelle would've been pinch hit for.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 240Z » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:43 pm

I think he let him bat since the Marlins already have 2 of their reserves playing (Banks, Mordecai) and he didn't want to use up the bench in a close game, not to mention that Dontrelle is a pretty decent hitter (already has a HR this year). Probably waiting to see if they would put in Mondesi or not.
240Z
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers