Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cincinnati Reds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cincinnati Reds

Postby crazybob60 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:33 pm

I heard this being talked about here on a radio station in Cincy and it has had me thinking for a few days about it, and quite frankly it has me upset as well. The reds back in the mid to late 90's, they were always pointing to 2003 and how they were building for this season and the new stadium and how great they were building the team for that. Well it is now 2003. We have a few good OF's and one good IF and that's bout it. That is all we have to show for it. Oh, and a new stadium as well. But still, we here in Cincy were always told, hey wait until 2003 and then you will see. Just poor planning part of Bowden's part, maybe that is why he is outta a job now. I just hope that this so-called firesale they are talking about will not affect them too bad next season because that is what we have to look forward to. I just hope they don't ruin anything with the firesale for next season. But again, we are in hapless Cincinnati where our pro teams always seem to mess up quite a bit (Bengals included). Sorry, I just gotta vent. Whoa, way too long of a message.
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Super GM » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:00 pm

Hmmm. I didn't know that. That sucks of course. What they need to do is copy the Braves, who've managed to stay on top for 11 straight years and are aiming for ther 12th. I'm not trying to brag about the Braves, eventhogh it may sound like it. What I'm trying to say is that the other teams need to figure out, what it is they want to build on. Strong pitching or strong hitting...They need to figure out, what the Braves have done to stay on top, beside John Shuerholz' shrewdness....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)

Postby chinch sacs » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:04 pm

Super, you need to site the fact that the Braves had like 5 minor league teams for like 4 years to try to develop talent in the minors, it also took the Braves a couple of years at the bottom to develop players like: Glavine, Maddux, Smoltz, Chipper... so on
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -2)

Postby crazybob60 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:07 pm

In my opinion, I think that Linder here in Cincinnati thought that once he got Griffey that everything would be peachy and he really wouldn't have to do anything else. They need to get someone in the offices up there who knows how to run a ball club. Come on now, Griffey was a big help and still would be if he was healthy (trust me, I am still a big fan of his despite all the injuries) but we need to build on more than just him.
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Super GM » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:11 pm

chinch sacs wrote:Super, you need to site the fact that the Braves had like 5 minor league teams for like 4 years to try to develop talent in the minors, it also took the Braves a couple of years at the bottom to develop players like: Glavine, Maddux, Smoltz, Chipper... so on
True, but that's where the formula to success lies! ;-D
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -55)

Postby charlie hustle » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:37 pm

Lindner needs to spend money. The guy is 86 or so and is worth 750 million.......would it really kill (no pun intended) if he lost 50 million or so nex year.

This past year he said he would go out and get help if the fans showed up at the stadium. They were 2 games out in June and he sat there and did nothing.

I never thought that I'd say this but the Bengals have more of a clue than the Reds
charlie hustle
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby crazybob60 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:39 pm

It is very sad and disappointing to this very frustated life-long reds fan.
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:11 am

charlie hustle wrote:Lindner needs to spend money. The guy is 86 or so and is worth 750 million.......would it really kill (no pun intended) if he lost 50 million or so nex year.

This past year he said he would go out and get help if the fans showed up at the stadium. They were 2 games out in June and he sat there and did nothing.

I never thought that I'd say this but the Bengals have more of a clue than the Reds

sounds like you are all missing Marge.

I find it funny that the Padres have been touting 2004 for a while now, much like Cincy's promise of 2003.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby BeautifulBrunette » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:42 am

charlie hustle wrote:Lindner needs to spend money. The guy is 86 or so and is worth 750 million.......would it really kill (no pun intended) if he lost 50 million or so nex year.

Well, maybe...but first he needs a GM who knows how to better manage the money the old man IS willing to spend, instead of tying up 52% of payroll on 4 players and the other 48% to the rest of the team. And also a long-range plan...rebuilding and development of our once-proud farm system would be a good start.

You'd think that Lindner's success in business (Chiquita Brands and UDF, the convenience store chain) would have taught him that being able to recognize your own shortcomings is actually a strength -- he knows nothing about the game. He should accept this and hire a GM who does, ala Schuerholz, Cashman, etc. Say what you want to about Steinbrenner, he surrrounds himself with the best people, while Lindner gets whatever comes cheapest.
BeautifulBrunette
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers