Return to Baseball Leftovers

Not the season for Oswalt

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Not the season for Oswalt

Postby Mordraken » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:22 am

For those that missed it, Oswalt left Tuesday's game with an aggrivated groin - the same injury that has forced him to miss about 40 days (or so) this year.

I am in a career league, and he's one of my keepers from last year, but with this injury I am starting to shop him around the league. There are only 5 weeks left in the regular season before the playoffs, and an injured Os won't do anything for my team...

My offer was Oswalt for Scot Rolen. I have Mark Teixera at 3B right now and my offense is in a serious slump. If the trade goes through, I'll look to the waiver wire for a replacement starter and drop Teixera.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tropical uturn » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:55 am

i made a really good offer for oswalt last week and it was rejected. i was willing to overpay for him but the owner was being stubborn. some of the best deals are the ones that are never made!
tropical uturn

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby blankman » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:23 pm

Yeah, its too bad for him. I had huge hopes for him this year- my first pitcher taken, but I've been able to survive his injuries. I kinda hope he does have season ending surgery, so he'll be better off next year.

Or maybe they should just shock him with some spark plugs again LOL :-D. Maybe that'll fix him again. ;-D

Maybe with the Astros in search of a SP, the Yankees can unload Hitchcock. I can only hope :-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby cincyreds » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:44 pm

Man, if your in a keeper league, you need to hang on to Teixera, he will be a studd next season.

You drop him and you will regret doing so next season.
The BIG RED Machine will rise again.
cincyreds
Member #1000
Member #1000

(Past Year: -3)

Postby jjjjets » Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:04 pm

cincyreds wrote:Man, if your in a keeper league, you need to hang on to Teixera, he will be a studd next season.

You drop him and you will regret doing so next season.

i agree....DO NOT DROP TEIXERA!! he should be at least 30 hrs 100 rbi next year.
jjjjets

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Mordraken » Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:17 pm

We only are able to keep five keepers (salary cap $200, Randy Johnson & Pujolis went for $40 each, Giambi & Helton went for $35):

Roy Halladay ($4)
Woody Williams ($4 ! he's cheap and check out his consistency over the past 3 years)
Brandon Webb ($1)
Aaron Boone ($1)

The the choice comes down to Oswalt ($11), Edmonds ($10), Bonds ($28), Brett Myers ($1) or Dimitri Young ($1).

Tiexera MIGHT do better next year (2nd year players often slump), but the position is rich with tallent. People that could deliver 100 RBIs and 30 homers include Pujols, Lowell, Rolen, Blalock, Chavez, Ensberg, Glaus, Ramirez, and Hinske. That's 9 players in a 12 team league... 3B should be cheap next year. That's why I'm not keeping Texiera.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d » Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:22 pm

Mordraken wrote:We only are able to keep five keepers (salary cap $200, Randy Johnson & Pujolis went for $40 each, Giambi & Helton went for $35):

Roy Halladay ($4)
Woody Williams ($4 ! he's cheap and check out his consistency over the past 3 years)
Brandon Webb ($1)
Aaron Boone ($1)

The the choice comes down to Oswalt ($11), Edmonds ($10), Bonds ($28), Brett Myers ($1) or Dimitri Young ($1).

Tiexera MIGHT do better next year (2nd year players often slump), but the position is rich with tallent. People that could deliver 100 RBIs and 30 homers include Pujols, Lowell, Rolen, Blalock, Chavez, Ensberg, Glaus, Ramirez, and Hinske. That's 9 players in a 12 team league... 3B should be cheap next year. That's why I'm not keeping Texiera.

what is the contract year for the players? :-)

Halladay @$4 is unbelievable ;-D
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mordraken » Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:34 pm

d wrote:what is the contract year for the players? :-)

Halladay @$4 is unbelievable ;-D

Roy Halladay ($4) - 2 years
Woody Williams ($4) - 3 years
Brandon Webb ($1) - 3 years
Aaron Boone ($1) - 2 years

The the choice comes down to Oswalt ($11 - 2 years), Edmonds ($10 - 2 years), Bonds ($28 - 2 years), Brett Myers ($1 - 3 years) or Dimitri Young ($1 - 3 years).

Yeah, Halladay is my stud. I signed Halladay last year... nobody knew if he would be a stud or if he'd flop like he did the previous year - or was it 2 years ago? (10+ ERA).
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d » Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:41 pm

Mordraken wrote:
Roy Halladay ($4) - 2 years
Woody Williams ($4) - 3 years
Brandon Webb ($1) - 3 years
Aaron Boone ($1) - 2 years

The the choice comes down to Oswalt ($11 - 2 years), Edmonds ($10 - 2 years), Bonds ($28 - 2 years), Brett Myers ($1 - 3 years) or Dimitri Young ($1 - 3 years).

Nice :-D
I see you have a pretty good set of keepers ;-D
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby crazybob60 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:12 pm

Oswalt was in my list of keepers as well, but we are able to keep three ( no cap or year restrictions), but with this injury, I would think some of the others on my squad jump ahead of him. Maybe even Rich Harden. Right now I have Chavez, Sheff, Vlad, Maggs, Moose, Zito, and Harden. I've got the tough road ahead.
crazybob60
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers