Return to Baseball Leftovers

"Fantasy" 25-Man Roster

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Merlin » Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:33 am

You're all forgetting about Wally Pipp... ;-)

For an 80's and 90's team, I would think about Buckner at first, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Met fan. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that he was actually a really good hitter over his career, but alas doomed by a single play.
"It gets through Buckner and the Mets are gonna win it!"
Merlin
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fool42 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:54 pm

Being a "real" team how can you not have Jackie Robinson? Imagine the drive and intensity of Pete Rose x2 and the whole while being booed and threatened by people including his own teammates. To have the kind of carrer he did with all the distractions he had to put up with is crazy.
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -9)

Postby DK » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:53 am

HOOTIE wrote:Interesting list and comments. Hitters pretty solid. I would put Eddie Matthews over Brooks. Bonds and Mantle over Ted and Aaron. Ryan and Ford arent top 20. Would add Walter Johnson and Lefty Grove.

I think Rivera needs to do it longer. I still think Eck was the best.

no way i would ever take ted williams off. the guy was flat-out the best overall hitter to play the game, IMO. .344 average plus 500-HR power is staying.

im taking out ford and putting in walter. i was thinking about it for a while.

as for jackie robinson, he was also a last cut because of his pure explosiveness. however, willie mays was also an explosive player, and im keeping him there.

BTW, i was on vacation. the 29th was me birthday! :-D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby DK » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:11 pm

any other opinions? this is my most replied post and im not going to let it end! :-B lol. seriously, anything else?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:03 pm

DK wrote:any other opinions? this is my most replied post and im not going to let it end! :-B lol. seriously, anything else?

Explain why Ryan is in your list?
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby blankman » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:08 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
DK wrote:any other opinions? this is my most replied post and im not going to let it end! :-B lol. seriously, anything else?

Explain why Ryan is in your list?

I also would like to question his inclusion. IMO, he's among the most overrated baseball players ever. ESPN Page 2 did an article about that explaining that idea and also went so far as to say that both Tom Seaver and Steve Carlton, 2 of his contemporaries, were better than him.

So, why is Ryan on the team? And why aren't Seaver or Carlton or any number of other pitchers?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:21 pm

[/quote]

Explain why Ryan is in your list?[/quote]

I also would like to question his inclusion. IMO, he's among the most overrated baseball players ever. ESPN Page 2 did an article about that explaining that idea and also went so far as to say that both Tom Seaver and Steve Carlton, 2 of his contemporaries, were better than him.
So, why is Ryan on the team? And why aren't Seaver or Carlton or any number of other pitchers?[/quote]

Seaver and Carlton were better. You could make a case that Seaver is the best pitcher of the modern era.

Career era+

Ryan 112
Seaver 127
Carlton 115

Win %

Seaver 603%
Ryan 526
Carlton 574

I know that Ryan pitched on bad teams, but Seavers teams actually had a lower win %. I didnt figure Carltons team win %.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:16 am

I like to know why Ryan and Ford made the list. And how does Bench not start? Even crazier is how Bench doesn't make the team.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby DK » Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:05 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I like to know why Ryan and Ford made the list. And how does Bench not start? Even crazier is how Bench doesn't make the team.

ok a lot of things to cover.

first of all, i said that walter johnson would replace ford.

second of all, nolan ryan, even if you take away his 5,700 some-odd strikeouts, still pitched 7 no-hitters. that's something nobody has ever done. it shows that in his dominant years, he truly was dominant. also, he pitched into his mid-40s and even got an NH there.

thirdly, berra and gibson, IMO, were the 2 best catchers of all time. gibson, sadly, never got his shot at the bigs, but satchel paige pitched in his 50s and still had a career 3.29 ERA (which is why he's there). Bench, like many others, was a last cut.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:22 pm

[quote=second of all, nolan ryan, even if you take away his 5,700 some-odd strikeouts, still pitched 7 no-hitters. that's something nobody has ever done. it shows that in his dominant years, he truly was dominant. also, he pitched into his mid-40s and even got an NH there.[/quote]

Ryan is known for 2 things, no hitters and k's. A no hitter has very little bearing on career numbers. Even 7 no hitters is only 7 games, out of the 807 Ryan was in. Tom Browning threw a no hitter, Seaver never did. It doesnt really matter.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers