Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:49 am

Randy Johnson - 6 300 K seasons
all other lefties ever - 8 300 K seasons

also both Bonds and Rickey Henderson over Cobb

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby ballgame » Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:23 am

come on. you have to look at ERA relative to the time (ERA+(?)). if you do that, you have to put Clemens on there, otherwise you're just looking for pure stats, which makes all the oldtime pitchers and new era hitters the studs.

just a thought.

fyi, i refused to read this post just because of the subject line, but i'm glad i did. i love to talk about baseball. baseball is a talking sport. well done DK.

lastly, when i was like 7 i ran into the Mick, and he talked to me for the longest time. he asked me about what position i played, and yadda yadda yadda, so if you don't put Mickey Mantle on there, i'm calling it bogus because he's still my hero.
ballgame
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:21 am

[quote="ballgame"]
fyi, i refused to read this post just because of the subject line, but i'm glad i did. i love to talk about baseball. baseball is a talking sport. well done DK.
/quote]

thanks a lot ballgame

first of all, you have to remember there are only 25 spots, and only 5 for starting pitchers, so it's a tight list. second of all, if you compare Mantle and Cobb,

Cobb:
11,429 AB, 4,191 H, 297 3B, 118 HR, 2244 R, 1959 RBI, 892 SB, .367 BA
Mantle:
8,102 AB, 2,415 H, 536 HR, 1,734 BB, .298 AVG, 1677 R, 1509 RBI

Mantle may have had a shorter career, but most of Cobb's statistics would still be higher had Mantle equaled the total of 11,429 AB. While there is no doubt that Mantle was the better power hitter, I needed someone with more all-around prowess.

hope this helps-
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:36 am

kentx12 wrote:Mariano Rivera belongs on an alltime great list with Ted Williams, hank Arron, Willie Mays and all the other players mentioned. That is a prime example of another Yankee fan spouting off at the mouth. Next you know Mondesi is going to be in the top 5 outfield of all time. :-t

Ok, add kentx12 to the list of ignorant Yankee-haters. Obviously Mondesi sucks and to even mention his name shows a lack of knowledge about Yankee fans and the team in general.

Rivera is/was the most dominant closer in a VERY LIVE BALL era. As, ballgame said:
"come on. you have to look at ERA relative to the time (ERA+(?)). if you do that, you have to put Clemens on there, otherwise you're just looking for pure stats, which makes all the oldtime pitchers and new era hitters the studs. "
This is exactly true for Mariano Rivera. Today's game is extremely unbalanced against pitchers and do be as dominant as he is/was makes him worthy of mention.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby DK » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:30 am

OK. While there is no argument that Mo was one of the best closers of his time, the injuries to him and his lesser dominance than the closers i have have had their entire career puts him as one of the last cuts.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:42 pm

DK wrote:OK. While there is no argument that Mo was one of the best closers of his time, the injuries to him and his lesser dominance than the closers i have have had their entire career puts him as one of the last cuts.

I'm not arguing with you. Its your team. ;-D

I'm just annoyed at kentx12 for his ignorant comments
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:09 pm

Interesting list and comments. Hitters pretty solid. I would put Eddie Matthews over Brooks. Bonds and Mantle over Ted and Aaron. Ryan and Ford arent top 20. Would add Walter Johnson and Lefty Grove.

I think Rivera needs to do it longer. I still think Eck was the best.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:02 am

One of my favorite topics.

Starting 5

1. Walter Johnson
2. Sandy Koufax
3. Bob Gibson
4. Randy Johnson
5. Satchel Paige

Lineup

1. Jackie Robinson 2nd
2. Honus Wagner SS
3. Babe Ruth RF
4. Lou Gehrig 1B
5. Barry Bonds LF
6. Willie Mays CF
7. Mike Schmidt 3rd
8. Johnny Bench C
9. Pitcher
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby Yankee715 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:15 am

You need to add Christy Mathewson.
Yankee715
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Broncmet724 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:22 pm

Well, not that anyone is arguinig this. My firm belief is that any great player from one era would be able to play in another era. Tony Gwinn and George Brett would have hit as well as Ty Cobb, Roger Hornsby, and Honus Wagner in their era just as Mr. Cobb, Hornsby and Wagner would have hit well in the 80s and 90s.

As much as I love seeing the homers hit nowadays, could you imagine what the Babe would have done to pitching nowadays?

Mr. Aaron has the most homers ever, he reminds me of steady Rafael Palmiero. I beleive if Hank Aaron played in this era for as long as he did he probably would hit over 800hrs.

As far as pitching goes: Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Satchel Paige, Bob Gibson and others would be just as great in any era also.

Now onto my selections

C Josh Gibson
backup Johnny Bench

1B Lou Gehrig
backup Jimmie Foxx
backup Buck Leonard

2B Roger Hornsby

3B Brooks Robinson
backup Pete Rose

SS Honus Wagner

OF the Babe
Willie Mays
Ty Cobb
Joe DiMaggio
Ted Williams
Shoeless Joe Jackon
Oscar Charleston
Tris Speaker

P Cy Young
Walter Johnson
Christy Mathewson
Satchel Paige
Sandy Koufax
Bob Gibson
Steve Carlton
Tom Seaver

With any of those pitchers closing a game if need be. I am not impressed with closers. I would put whomever in thier.

In todays game which I can say I remember which would include the 80s and 90s up (born in 71) I will make up a line up of people I enjoyed watching.

C Johnny Bench
1B Mark McGwire (because in his prime he was the man)
2B Rod Carew
SS Ozzie Smith (not so great bat, but a joy to watch field)
3B Mike Schmidt
OF Rickey Henderson
Tony Gwynn
Ken Griffey Jr
DH Barry Bonds (cant stand him, 500/500 is hard to beat tho)

P Randy Johnson (the man!)
Tom Seaver
Nolan Ryan
Curt Schilling
Mike Mussina (Consumate pro)

RP Dennis Eckersley
Rollie Fingers (The moustache!)
Lee Smith
Bobby Thigpen (for one year......)
Mitch Williams (just because its my list)
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -20)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers