Return to Baseball Leftovers

"Fantasy" 25-Man Roster

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"Fantasy" 25-Man Roster

Postby DK » Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:59 am

looking at the title, you might think this belongs in a "rate-my-team" forum. in actuality, i've been working on my all-time fantasy 25-man roster, and here's what i've come up with. keep in mind that this is for real, not for a fantasy league.

C-Josh Gibson
Backup-Yogi Berra
1B-Lou Gehrig
Backup-Jimmie Foxx
2B-Rogers Hornsby
3B-Mike Schmidt
Backup-Brooks Robinson
SS-Honus Wagner
Backup-Alex Rodriguez
LF-Ted Williams
CF-Willie Mays
RF-Babe Ruth
Backup-Hank Aaron
Backup-Ty Cobb

SP-Satchel Paige
SP-Sandy Koufax
SP-Nolan Ryan
SP-Whitey Ford
SP-Christey Mathewson
RP-Randy Myers
RP-John Franco
RP-Dan Quisenberry
RP-Rollie Fingers
RP-Dennis Eckersley
CP-Lee Smith

I know i'll get some arguments, nothing is perfect for everyone. however, i am open to changes. id like to hear some opinions. make your own if you have 1/2 hour to kill. thanks all!
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:23 am

This is not an arguement, just my thoughts:

I'm by no means an expert, but I think you need to include 2 guys:
Mickey Mantle- I'd say ahead of Aaron. remember, he lost time to the war so his stats would be better
Mariano Rivera- the most dominant closer ever IMO, better than Eck was

I also wouldn't include Nolan Ryan. He's the most overrated pitcher ever- b/c Seaver and Carlton, 2 of his contemporaries, were better than he was. Most people see the K's and the no-hitters and assume he's the best, but they don't see that he's also the leader in walks and that his record isn't very good.

Again, this is just my suggestions and I'm not arguing
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby DK » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:43 am

blankman wrote:This is not an arguement, just my thoughts:

Mickey Mantle- I'd say ahead of Aaron. remember, he lost time to the war so his stats would be better

I also wouldn't include Nolan Ryan. He's the most overrated pitcher ever- b/c Seaver and Carlton, 2 of his contemporaries, were better than he was. Most people see the K's and the no-hitters and assume he's the best, but they don't see that he's also the leader in walks and that his record isn't very good.

haha, no problem man, dont worry about it.

1: I know mantle was a great player, without a doubt, but aaron edges him out IMO because even though there's no telling what mantle would have done, aaron still has that 755 which makes him so appealing.
2:I must say, i disagree about MoRiv. There's no doubt he's dominating, but those IL trips and the fact that his career is still incomplete makes him one of the last vote-offs. :-)
3:I chose Nolan Ryan because even though the style points don't count, he was still a dominating pitcher in his time. seaver and carlton were undoubatbly brilliant, but the 5th spot came down to carlton, blyleven, and the man i chose. however, ryan is my spot there.
4:The reason i have alex rodriguez there (he and franco are my only active players) is because although he's 27 (28?) he is the best shortstop to ever play the game on these statistics alone.

thanks for the opinion
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:17 am

I'm sure that you wanted balance but the RP's are very weak. I don't see how any all-time team can have Franco and Myers on it and not Walter Johnson and Mickey Mantle. Remember, most of those starters would go at least 8 innings so you don't need some of those RP's.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:22 am

I have no arguements with A-Rod being the backup and I'm glad you didn't resort to Ripken.

I guess we'll agree to disagree ;-)

You should add a manager, GM and owner :-D. maybe a pitching coach and bench coach. j/k with those 2

Owner has to go to the Boss- he's a guy that you hate if you don't have him and enjoy his dedication to winning if you do have him
I really don't know that much about other managers and GM's throughout baseball history, so I won't speculate on those positions.

Sorry for my ignorance but what position is CP?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:31 am

I would guess "closer pitcher" or "closing pitcher" or something like that.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -616)

Postby Nomar4prez » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:44 pm

It's kinda hard to put players on that list that are in the middle of their careers(Arod), b/c you never know. He could blow out his knee tomorrow, and he would be forgotten in 10 years. I'd stick with people that are at the end of their careers or reitred.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -19)

Postby Brokentusks9 » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:33 pm

How does Bob Gibson and his 1.12 ERA not make the list? 8-o
Brokentusks9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -21)

Postby DK » Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:40 pm

well, for the RP spots, i purely wanted to stick with relievers only. just as a base. and mantle is getting a lot of push, but who would i take off the team?

gibson had an era of 1.12 only once, meanwhile the 5 i have are more solid. theres no doubt gibson is brilliant, but those 5 are over him.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kentx12 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:11 am

blankman wrote:This is not an arguement, just my thoughts:

Mariano Rivera belongs on an alltime great list with Ted Williams, hank Arron, Willie Mays and all the other players mentioned. That is a prime example of another Yankee fan spouting off at the mouth. Next you know Mondesi is going to be in the top 5 outfield of all time. :-t
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -47)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers