Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's talk King Felix. And is he tipping his pitches?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Let's talk King Felix. And is he tipping his pitches?

Postby reynolds80 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:30 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=r ... &type=lgns

Well, there's the link to the speculation. But I don't understand this tipping pitches thing. I played college ball, and if a guy was tipping his pitches in practice it was because he was digging in his glove to get the grip only on breaking balls. So he would have to be reminded to dig everytime, even on fastballs. That way the hitters couldn't read anything into it. I just wonder how they haven't fixed this by now, and how he can fix it for his next start.. What do you guys read into this?
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giants! » Wed May 03, 2006 9:33 pm

Id blame it more on Jojima who is doing a terrible job calling ballgames
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -157)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:36 pm

It probably all about coaching. I think having a spanish speaking catcher (Rivera or Quiroz) catch him exclusively would help a lot. I've been worried that the communication gap with Johjima catching will hinder Felix's growth.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)

Postby reynolds80 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:39 pm

giants! wrote:Id blame it more on Jojima who is doing a terrible job calling ballgames

Is he really though? Not saying you're wrong or that I know anything about how Johjima has been calling games, but I wonder how true this really is. Is he just too predictable? Is he calling too many fastballs? What exactly is Johjima doing back there?
reynolds80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Laean » Wed May 03, 2006 9:59 pm

reynolds80 wrote:
giants! wrote:Id blame it more on Jojima who is doing a terrible job calling ballgames

Is he really though? Not saying you're wrong or that I know anything about how Johjima has been calling games, but I wonder how true this really is. Is he just too predictable? Is he calling too many fastballs? What exactly is Johjima doing back there?

yeah. all i ever hear/read is how felix and johjima MIGHT be having communications problems, but no one ever says what's actually happening. i want to know if there's anything concrete to say about the way johjima is calling pitches or having problems with felix. any links?
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -3)

Postby biju » Wed May 03, 2006 10:00 pm

reynolds80 wrote:

Actually the speculation is the opposite on Johjima: he uses too many offspeed and breaking balls because that's the way the game is played in Japan. The rumor is he's going to start calling for more heat from Hernandez.

Personally I don't think it's going to make a difference. Felix just needs more time to warm up since he had a shortened ST.

I will tell you one thing: for as much offense Johjima brings to the table I still miss Dan Wilson. I've seen far too many balls get past Johjima that would have been blocked (or in some cases just caught) by Dan.

:~(
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rwdiii » Wed May 03, 2006 10:03 pm

From Rotowire on the 25th:

Update: Hernandez's struggles might have something to do with catcher Kenji Johjima's Japanese-style pitch selection, which relies more on offspeed pitches than fastballs, the Seattle Times reports.

Recommendation: "This is a kid who throws 97 [mph], with movement," one scout said. "Why is he throwing the No. 8 hitter a change, curve, change? With his stuff, he can blow guys away. It's the best way, if you can do it. And he can do it." Generally speaking, Hernandez used his curveball as his outpitch last season after first setting up hitters with his fastball. He seems, at times, to be working backward from that formula this year. If that is indeed the case, it is easily corrected.
rwdiii
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers