Return to Baseball Leftovers

Spot Starting Dilemma - HELP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Spot Starting Dilemma - HELP

Postby GratefulHorn » Wed May 03, 2006 4:10 pm

I am in a 10 team 5x5 H2H league with unlimited waivers and no waiver time. A problem as been occuring with managers picking up SP's for one game and then dropping them, and doing this several times a week. This is quite unfair when they can basically steal the W's and K's categories, and screw the rest. How have other commissioners addressed this problem? We are looking at either a set amount of waivers for the rest of the season or a 2-3 day delay on the waiver. Is this a common problem, as this is our first league, or does this go on regularly? I hate it so far as I lost last week due to my opponent picking up 2 W's and 12 K's to put him over me on the last day. All help is much needed and appreciated and well help in return if possible. Thanks.
GratefulHorn
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby yossarian » Wed May 03, 2006 4:51 pm

I would definitley set a waiver period of at least 2 days, althought that won't really affect SPs that much. I don't like FA moves limits as I'm pretty active in FA regularly, but that's just me.
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby GratefulHorn » Wed May 03, 2006 4:54 pm

I don't mind FA moves either. My main complaint is its unfair for us who have assembled quality pitching staffs with a set amount of starts a week. It sucks when someone has an expendable spot on their pitching roster and basically will pick up whoever is pitching against the Royals, etc. to get more W's and K's than their opponent has possible. It seems that a delay in waiver transactions is the best remedy?
GratefulHorn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed May 03, 2006 4:57 pm

This is a common problem, and is easily solved by adding one of these rules

1. Limit transaction numbers
2. Put Maximum innings
3. Replace W and K with W% and K/9

Any of those should work
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby LooseCannon » Wed May 03, 2006 5:58 pm

I'd recommend having WHIP with Hits and Walks, that's what our league does. Then adding hits to the batting categories.
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -460)

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed May 03, 2006 6:15 pm

Now that the season has started, you can't start changing settings. You can either start doing it yourself or wait for it to come back and haunt the other guy.

With ERA and WHIP in it for 5x5, spot starters can hurt those cats too so eventually it might not have that big of an effect.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby Madison » Wed May 03, 2006 9:10 pm

Another Blown Save wrote:This is a common problem, and is easily solved by adding one of these rules

1. Limit transaction numbers
2. Put Maximum innings
3. Replace W and K with W% and K/9

Any of those should work

Agreed. ;-D

Max innings per week is what most of my H2H leagues in the past have used. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -5140)

Postby GratefulHorn » Wed May 03, 2006 9:28 pm

What is usually the max in a league similar to mine? To me that seems to be the fairest and easiest way to end our spot starting problem. That way everyone has the exact same rules to abide by however they want to use their innings. This is our first time in a league and all help is very much appreciated.
GratefulHorn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby River Rat » Thu May 04, 2006 1:31 am

The spot starter in my league had 75+ innings of pitching. Believe it or not, they won every category except for Losses and HR's.

We are talking about 75+ innings of mostly FA type pitching in an 18 team league. The categories for scoring pitching are IP, W, L, K, SV, HLD, HR, ERA, WHIP.

His ERA was 2.57 and Whip was 1.19!!!!!
River Rat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers