Return to Baseball Leftovers

Don't Boo Johnny (Commentary on Today's Fans)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Don't Boo Johnny (Commentary on Today's Fans)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:04 pm

well damon getting booed to beckett and rivera getting booed isnt really comparable.

Yes, Johnny Damon went for the most money and signed with our rivals. Yes, Damon said he would never play for the Yankees and did anyway, taking top dollar.

im not sure how you just brush that off so easy. sure the guy made great plays for your team in the past, but in the end he stabbed you all in the heart for the almighty buck. and worst of all he signed with the yanks! i mean damon taking big money from the padres or some other random team is understandable, but to sign with the yanks is just a slap in the face to red sox nation, especially considering damon says he got 4 or more higher contract offers from other teams besides the sox. then sign with some other team besides the yanks johnny!

in the end players making plays in your teams uni is great, but people are more happy for thier team, not the player.

beckett and mariano getting booed (and jeter and beltran getting booed and called out for a curtain call in the same game) just shows unintelligence to me. everyone talks about how great the fans are in the northeast; yanks, mets, sox, phillies. but to me those fans are just impatient spolied babies. just because these fans boo immedietly doesnt make them great fans, makes them pationate no question, but to me these fans seem to be uninformed. these fans have no idea how good they have it.

youre a bunch of jaded baseball fans in my book.
Last edited by The Miner Part 2 on Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:05 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote: He wasn't a Nomar who grew up in Boston.

I thought Nomar grew up in LA? :-?

Really, I would think that it would be ruder of the Boston fans to go nuts cheering Damon and then boo ARod and the other 7 dwarves like they usually do. It might help them get a bit of an edge somehow.

I meant as a player.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:06 pm

Kurtangletn wrote:You're basically saying if one of your best friends says "Yeah I'll be there to get your back" (Damon's I CAN NEVER GO TO THE YANKS OH MY GAWD) and then when you get jumped he decides to kick you in the teeth, should I forgive him? Don't think so.

Whoa. This is baseball. It's a business. Damon, Schilling, Beckett--none of these people are our friends. They get paid to perform. And Damon did that.

Kurtangletn wrote:I didn't here a boo for Beckett.

Yes, he was, and early:

Boston.com wrote:Josh Beckett labored through his first inning at Fenway, throwing 35 pitches, only 19 of them strikes. He walked in a run, and immediately quieted down the sold out crowd. The boos appeared already on Beckett’s 30th pitch of the inning, a ball to Shea Hillenbrand just off the plate. Two pitches later, a mock cheer arose from the crowd when a fastball down the pipe was called a strike.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -93)

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:07 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Kurtangletn wrote:You're basically saying if one of your best friends says "Yeah I'll be there to get your back" (Damon's I CAN NEVER GO TO THE YANKS OH MY GAWD) and then when you get jumped he decides to kick you in the teeth, should I forgive him? Don't think so.

Whoa. This is baseball. It's a business. Damon, Schilling, Beckett--none of these people are our friends. They get paid to perform. And Damon did that.

Yes, he was, and early:

Boston.com wrote:Josh Beckett labored through his first inning at Fenway, throwing 35 pitches, only 19 of them strikes. He walked in a run, and immediately quieted down the sold out crowd. The boos appeared already on Beckett’s 30th pitch of the inning, a ball to Shea Hillenbrand just off the plate. Two pitches later, a mock cheer arose from the crowd when a fastball down the pipe was called a strike.

From reading that it sounds to me like they were booing the ump on the call.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:09 pm

nuggets wrote:Booooooooooooo

You've got no cajones if (you're a sox fan and) you don't boo this man. There's always next game to cheer for him. Just get it over with. You'll feel better.

Not booing him means I have no cajones? I think it'd be easier to boo the man. Cheering for a Yankee is what takes cajones.

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Yes, Johnny Damon went for the most money and signed with our rivals. Yes, Damon said he would never play for the Yankees and did anyway, taking top dollar.

im not sure how you just brush that off so easy. sure the guy made great plays for your team in the past, but in the end he stabbed you all in the heart for the almighty buck. and worst of all he signed with the yanks! i mean damon taking big money from the padres or some other random team is understandable, but to sign with the yanks is just a slap in the face to red sox nation, especially considering damon says he got 4 or more higher contract offers from other teams besides the sox. then sign with some other team besides the yanks johnny!

Because it's a business. The Sox signed away Renteria and many other players recently and while I'd like to believe it's for the history of the franchise or some other line, I know it's for the money. That's the way it works.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:11 pm

And the other thing is that the Sox had a shot at Damon but weren't ready to bite the bullet on the length of a contract that the Yankees would have.

If I were in charge I would not have given him a 4 year deal either but I would not hold it against him if some other doofus (who happens to be my arch rival...) wants to capriciously waste money like that. Everybody here should be familiar w/ the effects of age on baseball and how 4 year deals for guys in his cohort are NOTORIOUSLY bad investments. THAT'S what the Red Sox nation should be applauding!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:14 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:

Yes, he was, and early:

From reading that it sounds to me like they were booing the ump on the call.

You're right, it does read that way, but he was most definitely booed on performance.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Transmogrifier » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:15 pm

nuggets wrote:
Transmogrifier wrote:
nuggets wrote:Booooooooooooo

You've got no cajones if (you're a sox fan and) you don't boo this man. There's always next game to cheer for him. Just get it over with. You'll feel better.

Not booing him means I have no cajones? I think it'd be easier to boo the man. Cheering for a Yankee is what takes cajones.

And a complete lack of pride in and respect of one's own team.

Can you explain this?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers