Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's the deal with Cliff Floyd?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's the deal with Cliff Floyd?

Postby Hobbes » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:39 am

He is off to a horrible start, currently batting .188. I know he had some minor injury issues this season, but are they still affecting him? I finally put him on my bench about a week ago and hate seeing a bench spot doing nothing for me.

Is Floyd going to put it together this year?
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:58 pm

Drafting him thinking he was going to do what he did last year would have been a mistake. He has been consistanly injured and hasn't hit 20 hr since '02. He will bounce back some if he isn't hurt too badly or doesn't get hurt again but to expect anything like last year would be a mistake.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby JohnGris » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:16 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with besides a couple nagging injuries that kept him out of a few games. He kept healthy all last year, though, so some feel like he's overdue to have injuries impact this year's season a little more.

It broke my heart that I had to drop him, being a Mets and Floyd fan, but there were just better, more reliable options for me in the FA pool.

I think he'll pull himself up to .260, .250 at the worst, and between 20-25 homeruns if he plays regularly enough. I wouldn't consider it a bad move to drop him, though, or at least bench him until he shows signs of life. Just know that he'll improve, but like the above poster mentioned, last years stats will be far out of reach for him.

-JohnGris
JohnGris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:27 pm

Nothing is wrong with Floyd. He is hitting the ball hard, just not getting the results. He will turn it on if given the chance.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -231)

Postby reenum » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:49 pm

He's not a bad player, but you can probably afford to let him sit on the WW for the next month or so.

He's been a pretty good hitter. Perhaps he's just one of those warmer weather guys.
I never smile if I can help it.... Showing one's teeth is a submission signal in primates. When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life.
reenum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -13)

Postby beezer » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:46 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Floyd. He is having a case of bad luck lately. He has been crushing the ball but right to someone. He has been just missing HR's in the last week or two. He hit 3 to the fence the other night, just getting under them. He got robbed on one of them also. Floyd owners should start seeing results soon. He is a gamer, even though he is an injury risk.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers