Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB will not celebrate Bonds passing Ruth

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB will not celebrate Bonds passing Ruth

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:23 pm

espn.com wrote:NEW YORK -- Barry Bonds will have to wait until he passes Hank Aaron before baseball throws a party for him.

Major League Baseball is not planning any celebration for Bonds if and when he tops Babe Ruth's mark of 714 home runs, commissioner Bud Selig said Thursday.

"Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's record," Selig said. "We don't celebrate anybody the second or third time in."

Bonds has been the subject of steroids speculation for several seasons. The recent book "Game of Shadows" detailed allegations against him, and a federal grand jury is investigating whether he committed perjury when he told another grand jury that he had never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs.

Bonds hit his 711th homer Wednesday. His San Francisco Giants were off Thursday, and open a three-game series Friday night at home against Arizona.

Selig does not figure to be in San Francisco -- or in Milwaukee or Philadelphia, where the Giants play next week -- as Bonds nears Ruth.

"We celebrate new records, that's what we do. We're being consistent," Selig said during the Associated Press Sports Editors annual meeting with league commissioners. "There's nothing to read into that."

Ruth is second on the career home run list, trailing Aaron's total of 755. When Aaron broke Ruth's record in 1974, commissioner Bowie Kuhn was not in attendance. Kuhn's absence rankled many, including Aaron.

Bonds has been hobbled by bad knees, and missed most of last season.

"He's had a remarkable career. Whatever happens, happens," Selig said. "We're going to let nature take its course. Commissioners don't sit around and say, 'I hope this guy breaks it or not.'"

Selig said he had read "Game of Shadows" but not seen "Bonds on Bonds," the ESPN reality show about the slugger's life.

Selig said the book was among several factors that prompted him to launch a baseball investigation into steroids, headed by former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell. There is no timetable for completing the probe.

Baseball's investigation, Selig said, is "not affected at all by the grand jury" looking into whether Bonds committed perjury.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2424449
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:28 pm

Why is this news?
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:30 pm

it's news because it's bonds. im actually suprised. didnt expect bud to have the balls to shun barry at 715. good job bud! ;-D
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)

Postby Xtreemes » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:34 pm

He's not shunning Bonds. Ruth doesn't have the record. Why celebrate Bonds becoming 2nd in the record books? This is not news.
Xtreemes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:34 pm

he's not breaking a record so why celebrate. no one else gets a party for 2nd place.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:37 pm

It might be news if Bonds was actually breaking some kind of record in passing Ruth, but he's not.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -320)

Postby Tavish » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:54 pm

I don't remember what the celebration was when Ripken passed Everett Scott on the consecutive games played list and I wasn't old enough to remember what they did when Rose passed Aaron on the Hit List. All I could find was a short blurb from the New York Times. Being the second best is an amazing accomplishment with the history baseball has, but becoming the greatest is cause for celebration.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)

Postby DK » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:27 pm

For some reason what I wrote was deleted, but anyway... I'll post it again.

Having a celebration for hitting 715 home runs would be like having a celebration for Bonds hitting his 67th home run in 2001 to pass Sammy Sosa. It's just a stupid idea.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -456)

Postby LiveForever » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:47 pm

Im going to disagree here. 715 is a milestone, not celebrating it is a big deal. Im pretty sure MLB celebrated when he hit number 500, 600, and 700. 715 is the next step.

Also he passing the greatest player of all time. Sadly I think this lack of a celebration plays into Bonds hands. Im convinced he enjoys being the villian.

Its not really the fact that there will be no celebration, its the fact that Bud SAID there would be no celebration. If he would have simply said nothing, no one would have thought anything of it.
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:56 pm

LiveForever wrote:Im going to disagree here. 715 is a milestone, not celebrating it is a big deal. Im pretty sure MLB celebrated when he hit number 500, 600, and 700. 715 is the next step.

Also he passing the greatest player of all time. Sadly I think this lack of a celebration plays into Bonds hands. Im convinced he enjoys being the villian.

Its not really the fact that there will be no celebration, its the fact that Bud SAID there would be no celebration. If he would have simply said nothing, no one would have thought anything of it.

the GIANTS can celebrate it if they want to. i have no problem with that. i just dont see why there would be an official MLB celebration for it.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers