Return to Baseball Leftovers

Save your #1 Waiver Pick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Mon May 08, 2006 12:14 pm

Hamels dominant again. Who are you saving your waiver pick for?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby rainman23 » Mon May 08, 2006 12:29 pm

Music2004Man wrote:
bluejkrew wrote:Don't ever use a #1 waiver on a prospect hitter called-up from the minors. Most of them will have to go thorugh an adjustment period in the big leagues. However, a pitcher is a different story (ONLY if his hype is worth it, e.g. Prior, Felix) since its more likely that major league hitters have to adjust to him.


I think your thoughts here are interesting but I would rather hold my #1 priority for a hitter over a pitcher. My thought is that a highly ranked prospect aka Delmon Young (if he can stop throwing bats at umps) sorry, low blow, BJ Upton, Jeremy Hermida, Prince Fielder will need less time to adjust then the top prospect pitchers Felix, Duke, Liriano, Verlander. What do you guys think about this?


Well, a couple of the names you mention seriously bely this theory. Hernandez and Duke were major parts of me winning my league last year. Harden hit the ground running a couple years earlier. Prior was outstanding in 2002. I'd certainly take a chance on the next stud hitter, too. But it seems like we've seen more examples in recent years of a rookie pitcher taking his league by storm. More ammunition for those who insist you should never draft pitching early, I guess...
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 937
Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Mon May 08, 2006 12:30 pm

Some *expletive omitted* scooped him up in my CBS league and his stashing him because *expletive omitted*ing Erik Mack decides to blow up Hamels to all the no-nothings in my league who wouldn't even know who he was without seeing the article on the front page of the League Home. What do you offer to grab him and stash him? Is it insane that I'm considering offering something of value to stash this guy? I hate when I think of doing something impulsive and irrational...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3920
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Parole

Postby Yoda » Mon May 08, 2006 12:36 pm

AT wrote:Some *expletive omitted* scooped him up in my CBS league and his stashing him because *expletive omitted*ing Erik Mack decides to blow up Hamels to all the no-nothings in my league who wouldn't even know who he was without seeing the article on the front page of the League Home. What do you offer to grab him and stash him? Is it insane that I'm considering offering something of value to stash this guy? I hate when I think of doing something impulsive and irrational...


No. I think he's one of those guys who will be lights out and possibly flame out. His injury history is way too extensive to give up anything of value other than burning a waiver priority.

I'm sitting pretty good with my #1. I am still torn between Hamels and Billingsley but Hamels seems too good to be true to pass up.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby AT » Mon May 08, 2006 12:44 pm

I'm honestly considering trading up from 10th waiver priority to 1st with this guy in my league. I think that'd be such a cool deal... Who knows if it will backfire or not, but it's fun discussing something like this with him.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3920
Joined: 23 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On Parole

Postby Yoda » Fri May 12, 2006 7:31 pm

Ummm yeah.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby DCNats » Fri May 12, 2006 10:48 pm

AT wrote:I'm honestly considering trading up from 10th waiver priority to 1st with this guy in my league. I think that'd be such a cool deal... Who knows if it will backfire or not, but it's fun discussing something like this with him.


I did this last year to get Felix.
DCNats
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 233
Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby duckbillgates » Sat May 13, 2006 12:09 am

I'm giving in and using my No. 1 waiver on him.
I've got a couple new guys in my league, so I'm not really sure I don't have the type of guys who would drop someone they shouldn't, but I've actually sat on a No. 1 all season before, waiting for a big drop that never comes.
Likewise, a lot of worthwhile guys that you wouldn't use a No. 1 slip through your fingers. I'd almost rather be done with it.
Since my ace on that team is the Unit (and I gambled on both Prior AND Clemens in the middle rounds), my pitching staff could use a shot in the arm.
Here we go. Long live King Cole ...
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1216
Joined: 1 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: under a dead Ohio sky

Postby rainman23 » Sat May 13, 2006 9:58 am

duckbillgates wrote:I'm giving in and using my No. 1 waiver on him. I've got a couple new guys in my league, so I'm not really sure I don't have the type of guys who would drop someone they shouldn't, but I've actually sat on a No. 1 all season before, waiting for a big drop that never comes.Likewise, a lot of worthwhile guys that you wouldn't use a No. 1 slip through your fingers. I'd almost rather be done with it. ...


I've almost started a thread on this theme several times. "The curse of the high waiver pick!" I guard my waiver status like a miser, and there've been times I was damned glad that I did. But there are those other times when that great opportunity never shows up, but...lots..of...little...opportunities come and go. And you keep missing out. And you finally use it, and there's this rush of euphoria afterwards. Free, free, free at last! And then sometimes that glorious moment a few days later when there's a borderline player available, the kind of guy you would pick up as a free agent, but not ordinarily waste a waiver pick on. And then you remember -- hey! -- I'm last on the waiver list! I can't go any lower! I put in a waiver claim on this piece of crap, and sleep in in the morning! Life is good!

Sorry, you nudged me into a moment of fantasy baseball rapture there... O:-)
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 937
Joined: 19 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rentz » Sat May 13, 2006 10:06 am

rainman23 wrote:
duckbillgates wrote:I'm giving in and using my No. 1 waiver on him. I've got a couple new guys in my league, so I'm not really sure I don't have the type of guys who would drop someone they shouldn't, but I've actually sat on a No. 1 all season before, waiting for a big drop that never comes.Likewise, a lot of worthwhile guys that you wouldn't use a No. 1 slip through your fingers. I'd almost rather be done with it. ...


I've almost started a thread on this theme several times. "The curse of the high waiver pick!" I guard my waiver status like a miser, and there've been times I was damned glad that I did. But there are those other times when that great opportunity never shows up, but...lots..of...little...opportunities come and go. And you keep missing out. And you finally use it, and there's this rush of euphoria afterwards. Free, free, free at last! And then sometimes that glorious moment a few days later when there's a borderline player available, the kind of guy you would pick up as a free agent, but not ordinarily waste a waiver pick on. And then you remember -- hey! -- I'm last on the waiver list! I can't go any lower! I put in a waiver claim on this piece of crap, and sleep in in the morning! Life is good!

Sorry, you nudged me into a moment of fantasy baseball rapture there... O:-)



yeah, sometimes its a blessing, sometimes its a curse. in my 18team league, i think i HAVE to use my #1 waiver on hamels.
in an 18team league good guys just dont get dropped.

in a smaller league....its a lot harder,because good guys get dropped sometimes....like sexson was dropped in one of my 12 team competitive leagues.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4810
Joined: 3 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests