Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jason Repko.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jason Repko.

Postby Thursday » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:04 am

I HAVE to know the deal here. Is he going to be mashing and flying like he is now all season long? I mean, he's got 3 dongs and 6 swipes so far... i know he's contingent on Lofton coming back and all that...

What's the deal here? Someone help, hopefully a Dodgers homer.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:11 am

Why is old man Lofton even playing? Let Repko play
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Thursday » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:20 am

Even if he's just a speed guy, that'd be fine with me. He's got more steals than Jason Bay, Chase Utley, Grady Sizemore, and Matt Holliday, all of whom i employ.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby CeeLoGreen » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:24 am

Anyone got a pulse on this guy??? Artful Dodger, where you at?
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:13 am

A 25 y.o who has had issues with strikeouts and not taking a walk in the past.

He still strikes out about once every 5 AB, but that's an improvement over last year. He's also drawing more walks. As such, he may very well be showing signs of improving his batting eye/pitch recognition, which should lead to higher BA than he's shown previously (can you please do the same Francoeur - but I digress).

His BABIP is above his career norm so far, but even if it settles into "normal" range, he should be around a .280 hitter - presuming he has improved his pitch recognition and we aren't just looking at a small sample size right now.

As for power/speed, I think the 3 HR are a little high, but he does have decent speed and it looks like Grady Little is letting the Dodgers run.

In short, a young player with some decent upside, especially in the SB department. But to be sure, he needs more PT, which he won't get with Lofton in CF. And as Lofton started against Pettitte, it doesn't seem like it is even a straight platoon. So, basically, he needs an injury to one of the Dodger OF to open a spot. With the injury history of Drew and Lofton, that isn't out of the question. Until then, you're looking at 1-2 starts/week. But, if one of the Dodger OF goes down, I'll be picking Repko up and hoping what he's shown so far is truly a growth in skills vs. just a small sample size blip.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -74)
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby stumpak » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:16 pm

For what it is worth, he credits the batting coach, one Mr. Eddie Murray, for taking his hitting skills ot the next level. Whether he is indeed at the next level or just has a hot bat is something that shoudl clarified over the next month or two.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby Los_Dodgers » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:53 pm

He's a great talent and will hopefully be the CF of the future, but right now he is very undisciplined. He can't do things like hit a needed sacrifice fly or hit a ground ball to the right side. He is playing very well this season, but with Lofton back, the outfield will be Drew, Lofton (mostly), and Cruz/Repko. He's not good enough to have a roster spot with only half of his games being played.
Los_Dodgers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -14)

Return to Baseball Leftovers