Return to Baseball Leftovers

MERGED: Delmon Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:22 am

The_Met_Threat wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:Wow. Without video, this could be Delmon's lukcky day. :-°

O they'res video. MILB.tv now gets the action caught for every game. There were probably some independant stations there too. I bet their just talking to the head of minor league opperations about what they are gonna do about the suspension, the video will come out soon its just its not the major leagues so no big networks have it.

A lot of New England TV stations send crews to Pawtuckett Red Sox home games so some video should show up.

Is Delmon Young the second coming of Dick Allen? :-? He seems to be on his way there.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:36 am

wow video isnt offered to us immedietly?!!! what is this 1998?!!!! :-D
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -29)

Postby Steve-o » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:39 am

Found another eyewitness account:

I was also at the game. Lester struck him out looking, and Delmon Kind of stood at the plate as if the umpire was joking with his call. He probably said a few words, and the ump threw him out. As Delmon was walking away, he tossed the bat back in the direction ump. The bat hit the ump in the arm/chest area. There is no way in hell that Delmon was trying to maliciously hurt the ump, but it was still a stupid immature act by a talentented young ballplayer. To me, it seemed a lot less serious than the David Ortiz bat throwing incident of a couple years ago, because throughout all of this, Delmon didn't seem to too terribly out of control. Delmon is a special talent, but his attitude is going to get him in a lot of trouble.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -16)

Postby RynMan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:42 am

This from MLB.com's Johnathan Mayo:

Tampa Bay Devil Rays top prospect Delmon Young is facing a potentially lengthy suspension after throwing his bat at an umpire's chest during Wednesday night's game at Pawtucket.

The Durham Bulls outfielder, listed No. 1 on most prospect lists, including MLB.com's, took a called third strike from Pawtucket's Jon Lester in the first inning of the International League contest. Following the strike call, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2003 draft refused to leave the batter's box, glaring back at the home plate umpire for an extended period of time, according to those who witnessed the game.

"He stood there, looking back for a long period of time, maybe 30 seconds," Pawtucket broadcaster Dan Hoard recalled. "It was borderline, but not ridiculous from the vantage point of the broadcasting booth. I've learned since, from the Pawtucket catcher (Corky Miller), that the umpire told him to go back and he wouldn't go."

Young finally took a step or two toward his dugout when the umpire ejected him from the game. The timing of the ejection made it seem like Young said something to the umpire as he began his retreat, but Hoard said Miller told him Young was silent at the time.

Young then took a couple of steps and threw the bat at the umpire. According to AP reports, Young flipped the bat underhand. It sailed end over end and hit the umpire in the chest.

"It wasn't with force, but I'd say that was his intent," Hoard said. "He went back to the dugout and disappeared. That was the end of his night and the end of his playing for some time."

No one from the International League was available for comment on the incident. According to policy, the umpire will file a report with president Randy Mobley on Thursday. Mobley, in turn, will read it, interview those involved in the incident and make the decision what kind of suspension should be handed down.

In addition, no one with the Devil Rays, including several players reached for comment, would comment until executives in the organization had a chance to review tape of the incident. Young, 20, gave an official "no comment" when reached in his hotel room after the game. "It's going to be interesting," Hoard said. "He's certainly looking at a lengthy suspension from the league. I'm not sure if the Rays will tack on anything.

"I've never seen anyone throw a bat at anybody. I've seen a lot of games and never seen that before."

This is not the first time Young has let his anger get the better of him. Last May, while playing in the Double-A Southern League for the Montgomery Biscuits, he drew a three-game suspension for bumping an umpire. He also was nearly ejected earlier in the season when, after being hit by a pitch, he flung his bat in the air and it landed about 20 feet from the pitcher.

Minor League Baseball games have been umpired by replacements for every game thus far in the 2006 season, with the regular crews currently out on strike.

Young was hitting .333 with 12 steals (tied for the IL lead with teammate B.J. Upton) entering the game.

Interesting. You can also listen to the audio from the game - but they have no video.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060426&content_id=61709&vkey=news_milb&fext=.jsp
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -227)

Postby slomo007 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:43 am

It sounds like this is getting severely blown out of proportion. Give the kid a break...I'm sure he realizes he made a mistake. He's what, 19? 20? Hell, if that's the worst thing he's done I'd be surprised.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby The_Met_Threat » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:02 am

slomo007 wrote:It sounds like this is getting severely blown out of proportion. Give the kid a break...I'm sure he realizes he made a mistake. He's what, 19? 20? Hell, if that's the worst thing he's done I'd be surprised.

Who are you talking to... us or the league? It is going to be severely blown out of proportion by the league and hell be suspended for quite a while.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -20)

Postby Thursday » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:15 am

I'm not so sure here. Look, none of us saw it, obviously. He might be suspended, i would say, 25-40 games, thereabouts. He will be back, and hopefully he'll get chewed out by his manager/teammates/someone. He'll straighten out, and will learn from this. We're all human, we make mistakes, so this is his. Make him serve a nice long suspension so he can think about it, give him time to cool off, and he'll be back, good as new.

Moral of the story: if the Devil Rays let him stay on the 25 man roster, none of this would have happened. }:-)
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby gostanford07 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:19 am

slomo007 wrote:It sounds like this is getting severely blown out of proportion. Give the kid a break...I'm sure he realizes he made a mistake. He's what, 19? 20? Hell, if that's the worst thing he's done I'd be surprised.

While I agree that this has and will be blown out of proportion, there is absolutely no excuse for what he did. Whether he flipped/tossed/threw the bat is irrelevant. The fact that a 20 year old kid has the audacity to stand and stare at the plate for 30 seconds and then project the bat in the general direction of the umpire is disgusting. C'mon Delmon, everyone knows you're the number one prospect, but please, you haven't made it yet. Who are you to be above the umpire and the game? You are a kid and a minor leaguer, not an established veteran. Not saying that this type of action is any more reasonable if done by a vet, but I think an attempt to defend the kid is absurd. He undoubtedly got caught up in the moment and acted impulsively, but restraining yourself from projecting a baseball bat at the umpire doesn't exactly take a lot of self-control. Bad move kid :-t
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: -5)

Postby sockeye » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:23 am

I don't see what all the fuss is about - it's not like he shot someone in the face or something. Or flung the bat at a HOFer catcher running down the baseline.

The ump probably made a bad call anyway. Maybe he ought to be sent down to AA.
sockeye
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -19)

Postby Morrison8312 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:39 am

Maybe this is a bad comparison but I'm throwing it out there. Jermaine O'Neal got 30 games for punching the two fans who were on the floor.

I'm thinking it's going to be around 30-50 games...or they could make a statement and go with 75....who knows?
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -19)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers