Return to Baseball Leftovers

Greg Myers or Jason Phillips

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Greg Myers or Jason Phillips

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:11 am

I've got Myers now, but it bugs me that he doesn't play everyday. Phillips is having a good month and has brought his BA up quite a bit. He hit 347 in minors so its not like this is a complete fluke. But since he plays for the mets, he doesn't get much runs or rbis.

Has average catcher pop, but I really don't expect myers to hit 18 this year.

From here, do I go with phillips and hope the extra play time will get me some more runs and rbis?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby d » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:21 am

Keep in mind that Phillips may lose his PT when Piazza comes back. But I think it may worth the gamble to do the switch, it is a coin toss.
d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 22, 2003 2:49 am

d wrote:Keep in mind that Phillips may lose his PT when Piazza comes back. But I think it may worth the gamble to do the switch, it is a coin toss.

Phillips plays 1b most of the time i think. It's vance wilson who will lose his PT.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Leiter Fan » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:03 am

Anonymous wrote:
d wrote:Keep in mind that Phillips may lose his PT when Piazza comes back. But I think it may worth the gamble to do the switch, it is a coin toss.

Phillips plays 1b most of the time i think. It's vance wilson who will lose his PT.

You are right - Phillips is the 1B right now, and only goes behind the plate on Vance's off days right now. However, with his gimpy groin, you have to figure that Piazza will rehab at first base, and see signifcant time playing there upon his return. Although I agree that Vance will also lose playing time, I think neither he or Jason will be playing every day once Piazza returns - unless maybe Phillips feels like adding OF to his elgibility. :-B
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Take Phillips

Postby Visigoth » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:37 am

The way that he is hitting now I believe that they will find some way to keep him in the lineup. The playing time may decrease slightly, but his production has been very good on a daily basis. You may reevaluate when Piazza returns--by then maybe someone like Dave Ross or Victor Martinez will be a better pickup than Myers.
Visigoth
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ondeckb » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:57 am

Despite platooning, Myers is still an upper tier catcher this year. It's a weak position without too many good options. Look at it this way...when he's not playing, he's not hurting you. B-)
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -10)

Meyers or Santiago?

Postby g00lag » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:46 am

I have a chance to nab santiago.

would he be a better alternative?

meyers has the better BA, but they are about equal in almost every other category.

:-?
g00lag
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers