Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gagne, Smoltz, & then who??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: um

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:59 am

rjforlife wrote:but you dont go get a top closer and use him in a setup role unless you are thinking that he may have to do some closing.

Why not? If you have the means to get a better pitcher (closer compared to a set-up guy) wouldn't you? Benitez is a good pitcher, so the Yankees brought in the best available pitcher to fill the set-up void. There's no reason why you wouldn't take the better pitcher to set-up.

To add to the Lofunzo's reasons for the acquisition:
3. Benitez was the best available pitcher and they obviously wanted to fill their setup need with the best pitcher that they could get
4. George absolutely LOVES sticking it to the Mets- he loves to grab players that the Mets have had problems with, or guys the Mets think are over the hill, and "fix" them to stick it to the Mets. also see ventura, cone, strawberry

I will say that I'm not a fan of the trade but, I think hearing about the trade from those most intimate with the teams involved (in this case only Yankee fans, b/c I think Mets fans are rightfully biased against Benitez), helps for the understanding of it. We all can't be experts on every team and I hope this addresses your questions.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -211)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers