Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cole Hamels- Super sleeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:06 pm

brandnew wrote:What does Hamels throw again?

He has super command of his fastball and change up. His curve must be working real well also evidenced by his dominance so far. It's early but his first career start at AAA was pretty damn impressive.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rubidium » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:43 pm

Keep in mind this guy can not stay healthy before getting too excited about him.!+) Outstanding pitcher, but so many question marks.

5 wrote:What kind of injuries has he dealt with?

He broke his pitching arm in his sophomore year of high school which kept him out of baseball for his Junior year. He missed a good deal of time to two different pulled muscles in his right arm. Uhh...last year he broke his hand (not sure which, I think/hope it was his right) in a bar fight, and when he finally recovered from that, he injured his back which took him out for the season.
Rubidium
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: -1)

Postby perlick29 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:16 pm

hybrid wrote:I really hope he can stay healthy this year, I almost feel bad for the kid w/ the injuries. He has great stuff and knows how to pitch, I've said it before but IMO he was better then Kazmir at the same age. Sad to see him not get a chance to rival him up through the levels.

I dont feel bad necessarily. The injuries are mostly self-inflicted by starting bar fights, and fights in high school. He did admit this to me personally when I interviewed him after his first start last year w. AA Reading.

But I totally agree the talent is there and I have a feeling this is the year he puts it together and gets up for good.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -75)

Postby perlick29 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:19 pm

nsulham wrote:Kinda reminds me of Brett Myers' tenure in Scranton, where I just happened to be doing my internship that summer. He had a buzz following him when he came up and for the most part met expectations and he wasn't there very long. Believe it was June-July he got the call after only a few starts. Funny sidenote, I was there covering the game where he plunked Drew Henson and Henson charged him, starting a bench-clearing brawl.

As for Hamels, I have the #1 priority in my league and am following this situation closely.

Lucky you Nate. It looks like you are were slightly ahead of me in the minors than I was though I did get called up to the show last summer and spent sundays in the Phillies locker room. Who's the uber-prospect now? :-D

Strangely enough though no call up yet this season and I got relegated to the Independent leagues. How does that happen?
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SteveJeltzPhanClub » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:54 pm

perlick29 wrote:
nsulham wrote:Kinda reminds me of Brett Myers' tenure in Scranton, where I just happened to be doing my internship that summer. He had a buzz following him when he came up and for the most part met expectations and he wasn't there very long. Believe it was June-July he got the call after only a few starts. Funny sidenote, I was there covering the game where he plunked Drew Henson and Henson charged him, starting a bench-clearing brawl.

As for Hamels, I have the #1 priority in my league and am following this situation closely.

Lucky you Nate. It looks like you are were slightly ahead of me in the minors than I was though I did get called up to the show last summer and spent sundays in the Phillies locker room. Who's the uber-prospect now? :-D

Strangely enough though no call up yet this season and I got relegated to the Independent leagues. How does that happen?

What is your relationship with the Phillies organization? Fan? Intern? Local beat writer?
SteveJeltzPhanClub
College Coach
College Coach

Postby perlick29 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:10 pm

Was an intern for FOX29 and WB17. Now a local beat writer for the Sports Network.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:09 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:hamels has always had an upside but i cant agree with all good things other than injuries...ive heard hes had some attitude problems as the bar fight shows somewhat.
I think an attitude like that is good for a pitcher,keeps em tough,gives them a little fire in their belly,somebody crowds the plate,knock him down!
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers