Return to Baseball Leftovers

Markakis Mania

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:39 am

Like I said before, Markakis is going to be about a league average hitter this year, and has a nice career ahead of him. What shows up in his numbers is his ability to make adjustments as he steps up to more difficult levels of play. Check out his OPS by month this year:

April: .558 (pretty ugly the first time around)
May: .667 (better, but still not good)
June: .803 (decent work, especially for a 22 year old)
July: .999 (can't complain about that, can you?)

Markakis is at a .273 EqA right now, and I predicted .255-.265. I think that still is right. He'll cool off a bit as the season drags on, I think. But, for a a 22 year old to post a league average EqA (and outplay "stars" like Langerhans--nudge, nudge---) is pretty darn good.

Markakis projects as a solid player, a little light on HRs, but high on BA and OBP. Think Abreu, without the SBs. Some people may over-value him next year if he ends up strong.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: -47)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:24 am

GTWMA-

Not to change the subject, but where does Ryan Langerhans come into this? I don't really think anyone thought he was going to be a star; he's a great defensive OF with not much power. Pretty much a good 4th guy as a defensive replacement. I'm surprised anyone would put him in the same category as Markakis. (Seriously. They're like NOTHING alike. Well, except maybe they both have good arm strentgh).
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:00 am

George_Foreman wrote:GTWMA-

Not to change the subject, but where does Ryan Langerhans come into this? I don't really think anyone thought he was going to be a star; he's a great defensive OF with not much power. Pretty much a good 4th guy as a defensive replacement. I'm surprised anyone would put him in the same category as Markakis. (Seriously. They're like NOTHING alike. Well, except maybe they both have good arm strentgh).

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 5&start=15

I'm just taking a friendly shot at old Nuggets there, :-D

Keeping track of the ones I got right this year, since I blew it on Soriano. :~(
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:58 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 5&start=15

I'm just taking a friendly shot at old Nuggets there, :-D

Keeping track of the ones I got right this year, since I blew it on Soriano. :~(

Well I think Nuggets is gone now, so I don't think he will be here to see your shot at him. ;-)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -28)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:29 pm

Anybody wanna tell me why Baltimore keeps batting Fahey second and Markakis 8th or 9th??? Markakis is the hottest hitter in baseball since the ASB, has an excellent OBP (Ideal for a #2 hitter), makes good contact, and would benefit from the protection Mora & Tejada could give him. Baltimore is mishandling the guy big time if you ask me.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:37 pm

Guess you didn't hear that Perlozzo is Italian for "not fit to manage a T-Ball team."

Put all the Oriole management types in a room together, and you still wouldn't have the brain power of an earthworm.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Hobbes » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:02 pm

Or perhaps the Orioles just want to let him develop without the added pressure of batting near the top of the lineup. The O's are going nowhere this year, so there is no urgency to squeeze a few more runs out of the lineup. Far better to let him develop his game at a more anonymous slot in the lineup.

Seems like a sound idea for his long-term development.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:41 pm

1. The guy's got an OPS over .900 since the ASB. I think he's shown he can handle the pressure.

2. What the hell kinda pressure is there in ANY batting position on a team that is 20 games out and finishing in 4th place for the 6,000th consecutive year?

Sounds to me like yet another exercise in stupid management. The idea that the Orioles have ANY clue how to develop players should have disappeared long ago.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Philly Pride » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:35 am

Markakis is probably my favorite Oriole, outside of Brian Roberts.

His average is great, and usually, power develops later in young players (guys like Brandon Wood being the exception). He has a really bright fantasy future and plays great defense too.
Philly Pride
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -20)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:02 am

I think he's my favorite, right up there with Chris Ray. If he stays healthy Nick is going ot have a nice career. Don't see him being a big homer guy, but a solid 20-30 dingers with lots of doubles.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers