Return to Baseball Leftovers

"Sell High" pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby cHeMcL » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:45 pm

Thnx for that info! ;-D

One question. Would you consider Glavine also as a "Sell-High" candidate? He's having a good start 2-1 ERA 1.38 WHIP 1.04 :-B
| As days go by, the memories remain |
cHeMcL
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:53 pm

cHeMcL wrote:Thnx for that info! ;-D

One question. Would you consider Glavine also as a "Sell-High" candidate? He's having a good start 2-1 ERA 1.38 WHIP 1.04 :-B

Yes, Glavine lies just outside of the list I put up. He's getting a little lucky (28% Hit Rate) but he's giving up far less HR/Game than his career numbers indicate. Also, he's striking out too many people. The elevated Ks mean fewer balls in play. Add to this his slight lucky streak and that's why his ERA is so low.

He will likely return to a more realistic level soon so make sure to try and get good value for him now. As a matter of fact, I have Glavine so I'm going to make some offers right now (thanks for the reminder!).

-M
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby patty cheeks » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:55 pm

great point... one thing I don't understand is why you would sell high on Buerhle
patty cheeks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rainman23 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:07 pm

patty cheeks wrote:great point... one thing I don't understand is why you would sell high on Buerhle

I have to plead some ignore on Hit Rate %. A guy like Buerhle who makes a living getting guys to put the ball in play -- aren't they successful because they have a low Hit Rate %? Is his typical Hit Rate % lower than other pitchers? Is his rate right now that much better than his own norm? Please (non-sarcastic) enlighten me...
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -8)

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:10 pm

patty cheeks wrote:great point... one thing I don't understand is why you would sell high on Buerhle

Selling high is relative. Everybody knows Buerhle is a very good pitcher, but if you have the chance to package him for a great pitcher because of his hot start...do it!
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -17)

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:12 pm

I dunno. Glavine (dating back to last year aroud the ASB) claims to have changed his approach, going inside a lot more. His numbers since then have been stellar. I'm not ready to say that he's returned to the league elite, but I will say that it's possible that he'll maintain this level of performance for a while.

OTOH, it might just be that the scouting reports haven't caught up to his new "inside" tendency and that when they do, he'll start getting rocked.

But I like him as a player, so I hope he continues to have succeess and eventually gets 300. ;-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby patty cheeks » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:40 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:

Selling high is relative. Everybody knows Buerhle is a very good pitcher, but if you have the chance to package him for a great pitcher because of his hot start...do it!

yeah till this point you could be sold for a high price but I still expect Buehrle to be a top ten pitcher.
patty cheeks
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Slow Pitch » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:12 pm

Erik Bedard should be high atop that list.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby bluejkrew » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:12 am

About Bannister, I agree his walks are considerably alarming. I picked him up for his last couple spot starts, and you can imagine how nervous I was watching him on TV. However, I think there's a chance he can cut down on his walks. He had a very respectable ERA/WHIP with decent K/9 rate in the minors, and was previously known to be a command pitcher. The fact that he is a rookie, and still can get out of pressure situations is impressive. I still consider him a sleeper.
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby biju » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:33 am

Slow Pitch wrote:Erik Bedard should be high atop that list.

Actually Bedard, while "lucky" only has a 32% Hit Rate. What's notable however is the repressed HR/Game rate. Add in that he's not striking out a ton of people and giving up a "fair" amount of walks and you have the makings for WHIP and ERA to suddenly jump up. But the whole "Mazzone effect" might be another thing entirely...
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers