Return to Baseball Leftovers

A Question about Shannon Stewart

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A Question about Shannon Stewart

Postby flowbee » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:39 pm

Anyone know why about 4 years ago he just suddenly stopped being a speed guy..You look at his career stats and the stolen bases just fell off the table after 2001. This guy was a first/second rounder before.

Is this guy just plain slow now, or is there any reason to believe he could make a comeback? Because if hes not going to be able to swipe 15+ bases then he's pretty expendible even with his hot start.
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:43 pm

He's got irreparable knee issues. He'll have a great OBP which is why he leads off, but I wouldn't expect him to return to his former SB stealing glory days.
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)

Postby looptid » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:18 pm

I don't even know about great OBP. He's had a nice start to the season, but a lot of people can post a .333/.377/.456 over a 14 game stretch. He really struggled last season Leg injuries have taken their toll and Stewart is not as fast as he once was. Also, he battled plantar fasciitis all last season.

He really struggled in 2005, and at his age, it could signal the begining of a long slow decline, or it could have just been an off year.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby Los_Dodgers » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:44 am

i still remember when he was a real fast, good hitter over in toronto. the joe carter days. wow.
Los_Dodgers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -14)

Postby ingov » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:53 am

stewart has been a different player for the past couple of seasons. I'd put his cap on 15 sbs but i wouldn't be surprised to see less than 10...assuming he stays healthy all season. I'm thinking Polanco numbers, maybe a bit more power. Not too exciting for an OF.
ingov
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers