Return to Baseball Leftovers

Craw-daddy owners: Yahoo not registering the SB tonight

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Craw-daddy owners: Yahoo not registering the SB tonight

Postby kemper5 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:20 am

Funny, CBS Sportline credited him for the SB, then took it away probably due to the Fielder indifference thing
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:06 am

at any rate, I generally dislike the whole thing.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:58 am

justinA wrote:
There are many times where the runner has such a good jump that the catcher doesn't bother, but it is an SB.

That's not the same as fielder's indifference.

In tonight's game, Crawford could have walked to second base and Varitek would have ignored him.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: -11)

Postby Secret Avatar » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:35 am

The "fielder indifference" thing is total BS. If someone gets such a good jump to second that the catcher doesn't even try to throw him out, its ridiculous that that's not a SB. Crawford got ripped off a few times last year with this "indifference," and he's the only player I see regularly get robbed of legitimate steals because of this BS.

ANYTIME anyone goes from 1st to 2nd on a live pitch (i.e., not a wild pitch or the 4th ball) it should be a steal. Period.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -2)

Postby Matthias » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:39 am

Secret Avatar wrote:The "fielder indifference" thing is total BS. If someone gets such a good jump to second that the catcher doesn't even try to throw him out, its ridiculous that that's not a SB. Crawford got ripped off a few times last year with this "indifference," and he's the only player I see regularly get robbed of legitimate steals because of this BS.

ANYTIME anyone goes from 1st to 2nd on a live pitch (i.e., not a wild pitch or the 4th ball) it should be a steal. Period.

Not true. Up by 8, bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, 2-1 count. Runner goes. Catcher goes so what.

Sure, maybe if he had thrown he might've ended the game but I think it's one of those baseball code of honor things such as you don't steal when you're up big late or showboat after you hit a homerun.

Does it make sense from a pure statistical perspective? No, not really. But it's baseball.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:39 am

Secret Avatar wrote:The "fielder indifference" thing is total BS. If someone gets such a good jump to second that the catcher doesn't even try to throw him out, its ridiculous that that's not a SB. Crawford got ripped off a few times last year with this "indifference," and he's the only player I see regularly get robbed of legitimate steals because of this BS.

Fielder's indifference is NOT always about the catcher. For example if Mark Loretta steals 2nd when Ortiz is up and the shift is on, no one is covering or even close to 2nd, so it is fielder's indifference.

In certain situations the official scorer can decide that it was fielder's indifference because the catcher didn't bother, which is what happened last night, but for the most part it is a SB.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -350)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:21 pm

I was watching the game. The pitcher wasn't even trying to hold Crawford on base. Crawford COULD have walked to 2nd base even if Varitek had thrown there. It was definitely fielder's indifference.

I don't like it any more than you do by the way...Crawford is a guy I've got in multiple leagues including my main keeper league. But that's the rules and thems the breaks. :(
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 231)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers