Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is there anyone in the game who has this skill set?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:01 pm

Hafner is a DH while Teixeira is a gold glove 1b, probably the best in the entire league. How are they even comparable?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:19 pm

slomo007 wrote:Hafner is a DH while Teixeira is a gold glove 1b, probably the best in the entire league. How are they even comparable?

Considering we are talking about switch hitters and Hafner bats left handed...
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:29 pm

Berkman has superb skills. Hits for average, power, gets on base, etc. He doesn't rely heavily on his lineup and/or a hitter friendly ball park (considering Houston is significantly better for righties and Berkman bats lefthanded most of the time).

Teixeira is a young, exciting power hitter but Berkman is still the better hitter in real life.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:33 pm

Yoda wrote:Berkman has superb skills. Hits for average, power, gets on base, etc. He doesn't rely heavily on his lineup and/or a hitter friendly ball park (considering Houston is significantly better for righties and Berkman bats lefthanded most of the time).

Teixeira is a young, exciting power hitter but Berkman is still the better hitter in real life.

Regardless, Berkman is 4 years older than Teixeira. Berkman put up his best numbers when he was in the same age range that Teix is now. He has actually regressed significantly since then, due to injuries or whatever else.

The true test for Teixeira will be to see if he can continue to improve on his numbers, or if this is pretty much his limit here. I personally think that if Texas keeps the lineup stacked behind him, then he will be a legit 50+ HR threat someday, in addition to a .300+ average.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby KronJon » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:45 pm

Ichiro could easily hit 25, maybe 30 homeruns. But 40 is a stretch.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -9)

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:58 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Berkman has superb skills. Hits for average, power, gets on base, etc. He doesn't rely heavily on his lineup and/or a hitter friendly ball park (considering Houston is significantly better for righties and Berkman bats lefthanded most of the time).

Regardless, Berkman is 4 years older than Teixeira. Berkman put up his best numbers when he was in the same age range that Teix is now. He has actually regressed significantly since then, due to injuries or whatever else.

The true test for Teixeira will be to see if he can continue to improve on his numbers, or if this is pretty much his limit here. I personally think that if Texas keeps the lineup stacked behind him, then he will be a legit 50+ HR threat someday, in addition to a .300+ average.

How has Berkman regressed? He just turned 30. His K is going down, BB going up, his OBP is up, SLG has been consistent as well as his AVG. He is due for a huge season after missing a month in 05.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:04 pm

Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

How has Berkman regressed? He just turned 30. His K is going down, BB going up, his OBP is up, SLG has been consistent as well as his AVG. He is due for a huge season after missing a month in 05.

His best years by FAR were 2001 and 2002. He still hasn't matched his OPS in 2001.

I just don't get it, what is it about Teixeira that you simply do not like? Who cares if he plays better in Texas? Bottom line is that he puts up the stats overall. If Texas were really that magical then guys like Nevin and Soriano would put up career numbers there - which did not happen.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:16 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

His best years by FAR were 2001 and 2002. He still hasn't matched his OPS in 2001.

I just don't get it, what is it about Teixeira that you simply do not like? Who cares if he plays better in Texas? Bottom line is that he puts up the stats overall. If Texas were really that magical then guys like Nevin and Soriano would put up career numbers there - which did not happen.

When you are comparing players (switch hitters) and people do not even mention Berkman in the same realm as Teixeira (assuming we are talking real life), it just makes me wonder what people are thinking.

Teixeira is talented and is a great young player made awesome thanks to his home field.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:20 pm

Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

When you are comparing players (switch hitters) and people do not even mention Berkman in the same realm as Teixeira (assuming we are talking real life), it just makes me wonder what people are thinking.

Teixeira is talented and is a great young player made awesome thanks to his home field.

I'll give you that...they are comparable but I'd put my money on Teixeira being the far better player when all is said and done. He has all the tools to be an absolute stud for years to come. Frankly I don't care if his numbers come at home or on the road, as long as they come.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:24 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

I'll give you that...they are comparable but I'd put my money on Teixeira being the far better player when all is said and done. He has all the tools to be an absolute stud for years to come. Frankly I don't care if his numbers come at home or on the road, as long as they come.

Teixeira's OPS+ was 146 in 05. Berkman's was also 146 but remember that he was hurt and missed a month and came back slowly.

Interestingly, Berkman's 04 OPS+ was nearly as good as his 01 OPS+. Shows when you park adjust the numbers, Teixeira's 05 season wasn't nearly as impressive.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/berkmla01.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/t/teixema01.shtml
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers