Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is there anyone in the game who has this skill set?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:22 am

If Ichiro could hit 40 HRs and maintain a .900 OPS, he'd do it. But he can't. Like Yanks04 said, he does what he does best. He may be able to hit 40 HRs in a year, but I doubt he could do that and get anywhere near 200 hits.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby justinA » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:06 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Except those are off BP fastballs. I remember Dan Pasqua (how's that for a name from the past) could hit these monster shots at Yankee Stadium during BP. Well over the seats in the RF bleachers and off the advertising board behind them. Very impressive. Then the real game started and it was curve ball down and in, swing over the top and sit down.

Ichiro has great bat control, quick hands and running speed. That's his game and he is smart enough to do what he does best.

Unlike Pasqua, I really don't think it matters to Ichiro who is throwing what and when. He'll do what he wants to do with it whenever he wants to do it. I agree his game all about speed and getting on base. My point being, he can pretty much hit any pitch anywhere he wants including HR if he really wanted to. 1130 hits in 5 seasons prove that.

He can do whatever he wants whenever he wants? Then crap, 262 out of over 600 ABs is pretty bad! I guess he just doesn't try all the time.

Get real. The man couldn't hit 40 HR. If he could, ge definitely would like someone else said. He would be more valuable hitting 40 HR in the 3 hole with a .300 average and stealing 40 than leading off and hitting .350, stealing 40, hitting 15 HRs, and scoring a few more runs. It is idiotic to say he could hit 40 but just doesn't.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:09 pm

Hmm.. I don't know.

I think Tex is great but I still th ink Ichiro is the best player I've ever seen all around
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby slomo007 » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:18 pm

MinorityAuthority wrote:
cards05 wrote:Please go look up Tex's away stats last year and then come back saying that...

Which one got to you? The <10 HR right handed or the 30+ HR in Arlington. I admit I drafted him high because he's in Texas. Soriano HR stats will go down, and Wilkerson & Mench will go through the roof.

His lack of right handed power is extremely overblown.

Career stats:

Batting right handed: 27 HRs/511 ABs SLG .544 OPS .921
Batting left handed: 80 HRs/1223 ABs SLG .539 OPS .895

That equates to 1 HR per 19 ABs right handed, and 1 HR per 15 ABs left handed. Notice his SLG and OPS are both actually higher batting right handed.

People overreacted last year when he didn't hit his first HR right handed until doing it in the all star game vs. Dontelle.

I definitely think that outside of Pujols and Cabrera (and maybe Wright), he is without a doubt the next best young offensive talent in the league.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
(Past Year: -70)

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:00 pm

I think Lance Berkman is a better switch hitter as someone mentioned.

Teixeira is a good hitter made great thanks to his home park. I'd still take MCab over him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -153)

Postby The Jury » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:05 pm

George_Foreman wrote:If Ichiro could hit 40 HRs and maintain a .900 OPS, he'd do it. But he can't. Like Yanks04 said, he does what he does best. He may be able to hit 40 HRs in a year, but I doubt he could do that and get anywhere near 200 hits.

You kind of contradicted yourself there.

Ichiro may be able to hit 40 HR, but his AVG would probably go down as well as some of his other peripherals. If he could do it he would? Maybe he can do it but chooses a different style of hitting. We don't know.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby The Guru » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:36 pm

Tex is overated. Being in Texas inflate his numbers. I say Hafner is a better hitter then him but most ppl just don't realize it.

Compare the last 2 years:
Hafner:
2004 CLE .311AVG .410OBP .583SLG .993OPS
2005 CLE .305AVG .408OBP .595SLG 1.003OPS

Tex:
2004 TEXAS .281AVG .370OBP .560SLG .929OPS
2005 TEXAS .301AVG .379OBP .575SLG .954OPS

Hafner: 2005:
77.3 - VORP #
8 - Overall VORP rank

Tex: 2005:
77.1 - VORP #
9 - Overall VORP rank

Hafner: 2004:
54.9 - VORP #
16 - Overall VORP rank

Tex: 2004:
52.6 - VORP #
35 - Overall VORP rank

Tex has had 1 good year, while Hafner has proven himself over the last 2 years. Tex has to prove himself again this year before you can say he's a top offensive threat in baseball. Right now he's not better then Hafner.
(^) (o) - "Let's Hug it out"
The Guru
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -4)

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:48 pm

Some of you are confusing the point a little. I asked if there were any players in the league that can hit from both sides of the plate with as much power while maintaining decent averages like Teixiera does and be an elite fielder at his possition.....Some of the people you guys are mentioning(Ichiro, Pujols, Cabrera, Hafner) are not switch hitters....Hafner doesnt even play in the field. So none of these guys have the same skill set as Teix.

Someone pointed out Berkman....I'd say that's pretty fair, but lets look at the numbers....His slugging percentage suffers tremendously when he bats right handed....The guy has a career 1.024 OPS for his career from the left side of the dish, but from the right side his OPS is about 200 points lower.....Teix's career numbers indicate he hits with pretty similar average and power from both sides, and he's a better fielder than Lance.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:51 pm

The Guru wrote:Tex is overated. Being in Texas inflate his numbers. I say Hafner is a better hitter then him but most ppl just don't realize it.

Compare the last 2 years:
Hafner:
2004 CLE .311AVG .410OBP .583SLG .993OPS
2005 CLE .305AVG .408OBP .595SLG 1.003OPS

Tex:
2004 TEXAS .281AVG .370OBP .560SLG .929OPS
2005 TEXAS .301AVG .379OBP .575SLG .954OPS

Hafner: 2005:
77.3 - VORP #
8 - Overall VORP rank

Tex: 2005:
77.1 - VORP #
9 - Overall VORP rank

Hafner: 2004:
54.9 - VORP #
16 - Overall VORP rank

Tex: 2004:
52.6 - VORP #
35 - Overall VORP rank

Tex has had 1 good year, while Hafner has proven himself over the last 2 years. Tex has to prove himself again this year before you can say he's a top offensive threat in baseball. Right now he's not better then Hafner.

I have both Hafner and Teix on my team so I like this argument, but Hafner has never able to stay healthy like Teix has. Mark played in every singly game last season, and drove in over 140 runs. Hafner has that kind of potential, but he has never put up those kind of numbers...Hopfully this year he will..Also, Hafner has been around longer than Teix so he should be better...He's about 4 years older.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:00 pm

The Jury wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:If Ichiro could hit 40 HRs and maintain a .900 OPS, he'd do it. But he can't. Like Yanks04 said, he does what he does best. He may be able to hit 40 HRs in a year, but I doubt he could do that and get anywhere near 200 hits.

You kind of contradicted yourself there.

Ichiro may be able to hit 40 HR, but his AVG would probably go down as well as some of his other peripherals. If he could do it he would? Maybe he can do it but chooses a different style of hitting. We don't know.

Why are we even discussing Ichiro? Have you guys looked at his swing? Or the swing of any Japanese player? Their swings are designed to make contact more than hit for power. They hit homeruns in Japan because they play in smaller ball parks. Ichiro would have change how he swings the bat in order for him to hit for any kind of power. If he tried to alter his swing he likely still would not be able to 30 homers and his batting average would plummet.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers