Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is it reasonable to worry about these guys?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is it reasonable to worry about these guys?

Postby Zito is God » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:58 am

I have a list of a couple of players that I worry about for various reasons, any justification in worrying about these guys:

Rich Harden
Marcus Giles
Derek Lowe
Jason Marquis
C-whatever Wang

Thoughts? Thanks.
Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:10 am

Harden - No reason, if his shoulder was that big of a concern I highly doubt the As would have had him back in there at the end of last season.

Giles - The only real concern I would have is that he really hasn't improved since he first broke out. He had all the makings for a top flight performer, it just hasn't come together. Draft expecting the .300 / 15 HR/ 15 SB and not the .300/25/25 Giles people projected and there shouldn't be any concern.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -511)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:23 am

W/ Giles, I had him in '03 and recall he had a totally insane streak where he batted like .400 and hit a bunch of HR in a month or a few weeks that kind of skewed his numbers. I think that might have been right before he ran into Prior and, while he's 'decent', I am leery of putting him that high. I think that he does have some potential but is about 50/50 to be kind of middling.

We already talked about Harden some and I'm leery of him but, Prior is on the DL and he isn't!! ;-D

Wang I'm also leery of. His BPI in Baseball Forecaster are from another planet and I suspect he'll return to earth.

I like Derek Lowe to improve, if only b/c he done w/ the sneaking around w/ the journalist antics that must have been a bit of a distraction...'You're going to the ballpark to see HER!!' 'uh, I'm going to pitch...'

Marquis I'm not sure about. I was kind of down on him as his #s were a bit weak but I saw Carpenter interviewed during an ST game last week and he went on about what a stud Marquis was. I kind of have a hard time evaluating Cardinals 'objectively' Forecaster says '27% hit rate hid damage' and Prospectus says 'Warning Highly Flammable'
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:06 am

For what it's worth ...

I have no worries about Harden (was happy to get him in my 5th round) or Giles.

Marquis and Wang have some question marks, but I'd consider them late if only for the strong run support.

I currently do not trust Lowe. That's not to say he can't return to fantasy usefulness ... just one guy's opinion.

Good luck.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby ActionHero » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:43 am

AcidRock23 wrote:Marquis I'm not sure about. I was kind of down on him as his #s were a bit weak but I saw Carpenter interviewed during an ST game last week and he went on about what a stud Marquis was. I kind of have a hard time evaluating Cardinals 'objectively' Forecaster says '27% hit rate hid damage' and Prospectus says 'Warning Highly Flammable'

With Marquis, I would trust the numbers more than what Carpenter says. Carpenter's just being a good teammate. After all, what's he supposed to say -- that Marquis was just lucky last year? Marquis is a guy that can fill out your rotation, but I wouldn't expect great things from him.
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:53 am

ActionHero wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:Marquis I'm not sure about. I was kind of down on him as his #s were a bit weak but I saw Carpenter interviewed during an ST game last week and he went on about what a stud Marquis was. I kind of have a hard time evaluating Cardinals 'objectively' Forecaster says '27% hit rate hid damage' and Prospectus says 'Warning Highly Flammable'

With Marquis, I would trust the numbers more than what Carpenter says. Carpenter's just being a good teammate. After all, what's he supposed to say -- that Marquis was just lucky last year? Marquis is a guy that can fill out your rotation, but I wouldn't expect great things from him.

Me too!! I just figured that I'd toss out about the only 'upside' I'd run into about Marquis!! He still could pick up a bunch of W, if Larussa and Duncan are willing to keep running him out there...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby option245 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:51 am

I would be a little concerned about Giles. He is moving to the top of the order and I'm not too sure how he is going to handle that spot.

He doesn't have much experience up there except for his rookie year in 2001 where he had 238 ABs and really didn't do all too well. If he can control his urges to swing for the fences he should do alright but that is a big if.
option245
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:58 am

D-Lowe had a nice end to his season in his last 10 starts and has had a nice ST. A better defense in LA than last year, too.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers