Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Pap's start this year in boston?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Pap's start this year in boston?

Postby Big Tiex » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:22 pm

Does n e one think he will have a starting job soon or will he work MR for a while.???
Big Tiex
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ClarkAddison » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:55 pm

Well it boils down to who will blow up or get injured first:

David Wells or Keith Foulke

I know Foulke has had a few good outings lately, but I am not sold and I can see Paplebon slipping into the closer spot. In either case he is an excellent guy to stash in the case that he either goes into rotation or becomes closer if you can afford the spot
ClarkAddison
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:57 pm

ClarkAddison wrote:Well it boils down to who will blow up or get injured first:

David Wells or Keith Foulke

I know Foulke has had a few good outings lately, but I am not sold and I can see Paplebon slipping into the closer spot. In either case he is an excellent guy to stash in the case that he either goes into rotation or becomes closer if you can afford the spot

That's exactly what I did in one of my leagues...closers went early so I had to take Foulke to get at least 2 closers...so I took Papelbon in the next to the last round for insurance. Maybe he can also put some decent peripheral numbers up as well so I can use him in the SP slot for my roto team. ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -250)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Will Pap's start this year in boston?

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:01 pm

Big Tiex wrote:Does n e one think he will have a starting job soon or will he work MR for a while.???

He will work middle setup for the time being. If Foulke is a fire starter then Paps will close. If Beckect, Clement, or Schilling breaks down he will start. Don't count on Wells being hurt he rarely is, despite his age.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Postby WittyC » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:34 pm

I don't see him being an effective SP until he really develops a third pitch, and I think the Boston big wigs feel the same way. However, he should be a solid reliever, and I've stashed him away in a couple of leagues with the hope that Foulke goes down.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby brandnew » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:11 pm

I don't get it. Isn't Hansen the much better of the two for the closers role? It seems like he should be up right now, is he not ready?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -11)

Postby thedude » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:48 pm

brandnew wrote:I don't get it. Isn't Hansen the much better of the two for the closers role? It seems like he should be up right now, is he not ready?

Hansen has too good a fastball (if that makes sense). His whole career (even this spring), he has been blowing away people with his mid 90s fastball and pinpoint control. So the Red Sox are sending him to triple A where will they force him to throw his slider and changeup (both of which are plus pitches). He has the pitches right now, but the he just doesn't know when to use them. He will be starting or pitching 3 plus innings so he will have to use have these pitches the second time through the lineup. Once he is comfrontably able to throw all three pitches in any situation he will be called up.

If Foulke goes down before Hansen has accomplished this, Paps will takeover as closer. Long term the Red Sox see Paplebon as a starter and Hansen as the closer. In 2007 look for Lester and Paplebon to be handed roles in the rotation and Hansen goven every chance to win the closer's gig.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -397)

Return to Baseball Leftovers