Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior and Wood On DL - Does Dempster Come Out of the Pen?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prior and Wood On DL - Does Dempster Come Out of the Pen?

Postby Halo Homers » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:40 pm

Has anyone heard anything on this?

If Dempster goes into the rotation, who takes the closer job, Howry, Wuertz, or somone else?
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:43 pm

Dempster will be the closer no questions asked. The Cubs have a world of young pitching talent to take his place along with Rusch.
There will be no move for Dempster, period. ;-D
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 21)

Postby LL » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:26 pm

With Dempster having SP and RP eligibility in Yahoo, I'd love to have him on my roster. It looks like he's typically taken 130th-150th in the draft. How soon do you think is too soon to get him? How early have you seen him go off the board?
LL
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:29 pm

Dempster stinks in the rotation and is decent in the pen.

he stays in the pen
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: -117)

Postby Another Blown Save » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:29 pm

I think the Cubs will use Rusch and Hill while Miller/Prior/Wood is on the DL.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/latosma01.shtml. Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -361)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:36 pm

dumpster is a walk machine. he wont go back to the rotation no matter how many people get injured.

howry and williamson are the favorites for saves when dumpster implodes (and with 7 walks in 8.2 ip this spring that might be just around the corner). kerry wood, should he get injured again, could also save games. i dont know that i would really want to own dumpster. he might keep his job this year, but howry and williamson (and potentially wood) are better relievers than dumpster. you can only keep using your third best reliever as your closer for so long.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: -292)

Postby WittyC » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:54 pm

Like everyone mentioned, Dempster is in the pen without a doubt. Even if (maybe I should say "when") he blows it and loses the job, he'll probably just be moved down to middle/long relief.

I'm a little surprised the Cubs aren't pushing to bring Rich Hill up as the fifth starter or at least in a relief role. He's not getting any younger at 26, and I'd just like to see this kid getting more work against major league hitting. He's struggled with control in the past, but he looked great in AAA last year. Plus he's an absolute monster when it comes to punching out batters. Check his stats!
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -4)

Postby The Jury » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:06 pm

LL wrote:With Dempster having SP and RP eligibility in Yahoo, I'd love to have him on my roster. It looks like he's typically taken 130th-150th in the draft. How soon do you think is too soon to get him? How early have you seen him go off the board?

Once Rivera, Lidge, Nathan, K-Rod, Gagne, and Wagner are gone, you can start thinking about Dempster. He's a pretty good closer with a solid ERA and decent K rate, but he's a little more valuable with SP eligibility.
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Return to Baseball Leftovers