Punting Power - crazy??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Punting Power - crazy??

Postby bclay » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:54 pm

OK - here are the league settings:

8 team Roto (8x8)

Hitting: R HR RBI SB AVG 2B 3B BB
Pitching: W L SV K ERA WHIP CG SH

I am seriously considering punting HR & RBI in this years draft, in favor or grabbing stud starting pitchers who will be able to dominate in 7 catagories (guys like Santana, Carpenter, Peavy, Halladay, etc) This is my fourth year in this league with the same guys, and I've noticed that almost everybody drafts hitters like it's a 5x5 and don't really pay attention to 2B, 3B and BB. I figure by targeting the right guys that fly under the radar I can probably be very competitive in at least 5 of the 8 hitting stats.

I think I can grab 3 stud SP's in the first 4 rounds, and then pick up hitters who are good in everything except HR and RBI later on.

Has anybody ever tried this strategy in a similar league? Two things are making me hesitant: first, it's a big money league (winner usually rakes about 1500) and second, starting pitchers are usually unpredictable from year to year.

Is this a good idea, or should I just forget about it?
bclay
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:56 pm

Hr, 2b, and rbi are usually very highly correlated. For this reason I wouldn't punt power. Don't hamstring yourself before the season starts. You'd be aiming to win cats that other people don't try to like 3b, cg, and sho. This is a good idea, but don't forget that these are some of the hardest catagories to predict with any accuracy.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Webster11 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:01 pm

I wouldnt do that. Punting 2 categories is hard enough but youre likely to suffer in the 2b and BB categories as well
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -1)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:07 pm

Webster11 wrote:I wouldnt do that. Punting 2 categories is hard enough but youre likely to suffer in the 2b and BB categories as well

I agree, don't purposely just punt cats like that.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -6)

Postby The Jury » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:07 pm

Webster11 wrote:I wouldnt do that. Punting 2 categories is hard enough but youre likely to suffer in the 2b and BB categories as well

I wouldn't punt 2 categories in roto 8-o
The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -13)

Postby bclay » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:16 pm

What got me thinking about this was my final standings in my league last year. I ran away with BB and 2B, but came in next too last in HR and RBI. So it seems I was able to find the guys who exceled at other categories (I also finished high in R and SB) but not in power. If I were to try this I'd be targetting hitters like:

B. Giles
B. Wilkerson
C. Crisp
T. Helton
B. Roberts
C. Jones
G. Sizemore

With the exception of Helton, all of these guys can be had fairly late after I've had a chance to pick several top pitchers. It's just so tempting to go after guys who can contribute in 7 catagories. I hear about the unpredictability about 3B CG and SH, but there are some pitchers you just know will be good for multiple CG's and at least 2 SH each year (I think our leader last year had around 10 SH) And you know guys like Crawford, Reyes, Figgins, Furcal, Rollins, and Pierre will put up at least 10 3B's which is huge in our league (league leader was round 40 last year)

This is something I'm just kicking around. I'm taking Johan with my first pick, so if the other studs aren't around in the 2nd and 3rd round it won't work anyway...
bclay
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:17 pm

Plus, even though you'd be going for high-run players (ie leadoff hitters) you are handing runs to the other teams in the home run hitters you are giving up.

As was said, triples are very hard to project, and the guys you'd be targeting won't necessarily have more doubles or walks than power hitters.

I wouldn't do it. The hitting cats have too much overlap, and pitchers are also less reliable.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -5)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:56 pm

No way that you should punt HR and RBI. By punting HR and RBI, you are killing yourself in walks, because your big walk guys are your pib power guys. (you are hurting yourself in 2B too, and you are gaining very little in R by going after leadoff guys). You aren't going to gain much in AVG. ONly categories you would really gain in are 3B and SB, and that doesn't offset the losses you would get in HR/RBI. If you were going to save yourself draft picks to pick on high-level starting pitchers i would avoid drafting a top-tier closer and draft big-time middle relievers later in the draft.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby Matthias » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:59 pm

how many at each position?

if you have low #s at each pos., i would consider it because elite pitching runs out faster than decent hitting. but if you play c/1b/2b/ss/3b/mi/ci/4 of's & 2 util's or something, then you'll want to sprinkle in a couple sluggers in the first few rounds.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -34)

Postby Phatferd » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:02 pm

I would absolutely not punt power. If I were to punt anything it would be some pitching.

This league totally favors hitters. CG and SHO are totally random. Look at Livan 2 years ago to last year in CG. You would basically make your hitting weaker and the league favors hitting.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -25)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers