Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is it bad to have several SP from the same team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Thursday » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:29 pm

Ultimately you should be just fine, but be careful of bad stretches.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:10 pm

You COULD be ok but, your expectation in drafting pitchers is that they will be reasonably decent. If anything happens to a team as a whole, it seems as if it's more likely to be 'bad' in that pitching streaks are even rarer than hitting streaks. I look at it kind of like buying stocks, having a lot of one is ok but a diversified portfolio generally will not have the same sort of risks associated with it (Bonds, CO, earthquakes, who knows what might happen that could throw off the Dodgers' schedule and adversely impact your team).

I guess it could turn out ok for you but, in the long run, I think that having a bit more diversity is advantageous given the speculative nature of Fantasy Projections and would avoid multiple SP from the same team in most situations. I usually try to draft in tiers, rather than absolute rankings though so there's usually a choice involved.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: -18)

Postby BritSox » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:15 pm

Could cost you in H2H when LA goes to Coors, as AcidRock notes. In Roto it doesn't really make a difference, apart from perhaps in wins where you're relying on the health of the Dodger offense.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby 5 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:20 pm

BritSox wrote:Could cost you in H2H when LA goes to Coors, as AcidRock notes. In Roto it doesn't really make a difference, apart from perhaps in wins where you're relying on the health of the Dodger offense.

that's what I was thinking.
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -5)

Postby MentalPowerHouse » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:57 pm

H2H its a good idea because you know they wont pitch on the same day you wont have a problem with missing a guys start.
MentalPowerHouse
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -12)

Postby Phatferd » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:00 pm

You're just as likely to have pitchers of the same calibur have a bad game to effect you in a H2H league, so I see no problem with this. The Coors thing is the only real argument I see, but I wouldn't base my entire season on a total of 8 games or so.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -25)

Postby BritSox » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:06 pm

It's not quite Coors alone. A lot of LA guys' value is in the pitchers' park the call home. If you have one or two Dodgers, you have the option of using them only at home, and starting other guys when they're on the road. If the Dodgers spend a given week on a road trip, you either accept worse stats, or don't get the starts. Admittedly, PetCo is a very good pitcher's park too, and SBC not a bad one, and it wouldn't deter me if i got each guy at a bargain position, but it's worth a little consideration.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -43)
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers