Return to Baseball Leftovers

Calm Drafting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby josebach » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:20 am

Where research is very important, I think being skillful at drafting is every bit as important. The key is getting the most value out of every pick. I highly recommend having a cheatsheet that you trust that ranks everybody together (pitchers and hitters). I use ESPN's ADP.

For example, in a 10 team league, your first pick should be based on trying to draft somebody that puts up top 10 fantasy numbers. Mike Young is going off the board in a lot of first rounds... why? He more likely than not will be ranked in the 30's at the end of the year. Why overpay for him and give up 2 rounds of value? You're already starting off in the hole. Instead, try to get Furcal, Jeter, Lopez or Peralta in rounds 5-8.

Your goal should be to pick someone whose stats will be equal to the round you're in or better on every single pick. Of couse you'll have certain positions you're not happy with at the end, but the other players you drafted will more than make up for it. For example, I have Biggio (20th round) and Lugo (15th round) as my 2nd baseman and shortstop, but I also have Abreu, Bay, A Ram, Sexson, Delgado, Petite and Peavy.

1)Find a cheetsheet that you trust that ranks hitters and pitchers together.
2)Draft for the best value at each round.

You do these two things, you'll have a good team.

Oh, and one more thing... stay away from runs. If catchers start flying off the board in rounds 9-10, let them. There's likely only one catcher who is going to put up top 100 numbers and that's Martinez. If you can't get Martinez around round 5 or 6, wait till the late rounds to get your catcher. Don't overpay!!! ;-D
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -3)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers