Return to Baseball Leftovers

Calm Drafting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Calm Drafting

Postby cordscords » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:41 pm

Are there any others out there that dont really do a ton of research before heading into a draft? They dont do their homework, they dont listen to what everybody else has to say, but when the draft comes they end up with a good looking team and it ends up with positive results?

I see threads on certain players, and their are tons of different opinions flying around. Crazy statistics and such flying around. If I defend a player, I pretty much say he is in for a good season. I don't back it up, I let the player do it for me.

How many others take the relaxed approach to the game? I feel like I'm one of the few.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:45 pm

gut feeling will only get you so far and will invariably be influenced by whatever you hear or read, so it still research-based. If you pay attention to baseball regularly, you won't have to do much digging, but some of the more off-beat stats from BP ans such to have a records of translating into something meaningful. for some, such as myself, draft day is easy b/c i've quantified my thoughts and they only real thinking is how to play off others' draft choices.
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: -2)

Re: Calm Drafting

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:46 pm

Sounds a lot like me.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: -6)

Postby Blade » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:57 pm

I used cheat sheets and projection sheets the first few years I played fantasy sports, but it takes to much time and energy to compile these sheets. I have been playing long enough now to draft projection sheet free and do just fine.
Blade
College Coach
College Coach

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:06 pm

I took that approach this year for a variety of reasons. In the past, I've done a lot of research, and I've found out that success is largely dependent on luck (especially in the H2H leagues where me and my friends play) and mid-season trades.

I'm also extremely busy this semester with 18 units and 15 hours of work every week, plus a multitude of other commitments. I just finished my draft yesterday, and I'm fairly happy with the results. Could I have done better? Yeah. Am I worried about it? No. Do I have a decent chance as anybody to win our 12-team league? I certainly think so.

I also found out that I drafted more players that I like over players who might actually outperform them. I also drafted guys that are more fun to watch (like Dunn, Wagner, Beckett, etc.)

For the record, here's the team I drafted in our main money league going almost purely off my gut:

C - A. Pierzynski*
1B - M. Teixeira*
2B - T. Iguchi*
3B - A. Huff*
SS - J. Rollins*
OF - C. Beltran*
OF - A. Dunn*
OF - A. Rowand
Util - S. Green*
Bench - J. Jones
Bench - B. Wilkerson

SP - R. Oswalt
SP - J. Beckett*
SP - L. Hernandez*
RP - B. Wagner
RP - K. Foulke*
SP - O. Perez*
SP - B. Penny*
SP - J. Washburn
SP - B. Arroyo

* - guys that I have owned/drafted once or twice in the last 2 years

Like I said, I'm fairly happy with it, although there are definitely some holes in the team, but almost every team in a deep competitive league is going to have holes in it. That's the nature of the beast.

So to answer your question: no, you're not the only one.

;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: -17)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:22 pm

I probably speak for the majority of the Cafe (since the very nature of belonging to a forum like this tends toward heavy research and consideration) in saying that I researched at least a good month and a half pre-draft.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -15)

Postby great gretzky » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:28 pm

i've been wondering about that. I started a new job, and have like zero time anymore, whereas I could get away with an hour or two a day at work. And this is the second year of a keeper, what I think is probably the most critical one.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -7)

Postby HasteTheDay » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:34 pm

I'v been prepping for this year of baseball since December of last year. To tell you the truth, theres just really so much you can do untill ST rolls around.

I see no reason why a guy who devotes 20 minutes a day, can't have the same success that a guy who devotes 3-4 hours a day. Being well educated on the up and coming season just gives you a massive advantage of any mid-season call ups, and things like that.

Knowing a player's early season trends also helps a lot too. One who doesn't spen too much time before the season researching may give up on John Lackey, or Eric Chavez after they throw up that god awful April.
HasteTheDay
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -2)

Postby benjapage » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:41 pm

for those that have time, research is fun, regardless of its utilitarian contributions.

but it's definitely useful, at least (or especially) in highly competitive leagues.

i am, by the way, basing this perspective off of years of research. ;-)

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: -30)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers